Range day with my .223 M40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range day with my .223 M40

I took my .223 M40 out to the range today to test some loads and these are the results. Overall I am good with these results as I have less than 200 rounds for the rifle, hell I might have just 100 rounds thru the gun so the barrel isn't fully seasoned and broken it. I think the gun with the rounds I loaded is a 1MOA gun and my hopes of a 1/2 MOA gun might no come to be but I will say this I like this .223 M40 over my .308 even though that gun is a 1/2 MOA gun. Im 53 and been road a little hard and my shoulder isn't what it used to be and the .308 M40 kicks like a mule to me even compared to my 1903A3.

IMG_1191 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

I also took my favorite AR build of mine. A G.I. M16A2 clone built off a Windam armory 1/7 A2 barrel with G.I. parts and a slightly polished, stoned and buffed trigger which is really sweet. Now these targets where shot with a combo of 55grn, 62grn and 68grn ammo and the 68grn was the only ammo loaded to match specifications where the 55 and 62grn ammo were just some range ammo and the powder varried a few grains here or there.

IMG_1180 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_1190 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_1189 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_1188 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_1187 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_1186 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Well not bad for a set of MK1 eyeballs and while 55 grain only produced a 3ishMOA average that is well within military specs which my build was made for. Heavier 62 and 68 looks to be where its at and I plan to shoot this gun at local matches in the stock division. Not of those heave free floated rifles for me.

GOOD POST. kinda annoyed there are no pics of the 223

what is your load?
    your loading process?

i dont want to beat the obvi drum of buy better components will result in better groups but iirc your 223 is a custom build and not a factory rifle? and if so, that rifle should be capable of sub 1/2 on avg for sure.

anyway just trying to help.
    also I cant find my 1903a4 stock i was gonna sell you. we are moving but if I find it ill let oyu know.havnt forgot lol.
    DT

Comment

This is the rifle. It is a 700SA with a Douglas 1/8 barrel. I am using RCBS dies with IMR4064. Yes I am hoping for a 1/2 MOA gun but 1MOA is still not bad. Just need to find the right load

IMG_0667 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

Comment

Sweet rigs! Agreed that as I grow older, I definitely appreciate the smaller calibers more.

Comment

Great post, thanks for posting actual shooting.

My .223 M40 loves 77s over 8208XBR.

"...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Today....

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...#post-10212458
            "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

I think that your velocities with 4064 are going to be on the slow side. N135, 4895, Varget or Phil's favorite powder I think would be a better choice for your project.

Comment

Originally posted by steveu View Post
                I think that your velocities with 4064 are going to be on the slow side. N135, 4895, Varget or Phil's favorite powder I think would be a better choice for your project.
                Ill try some of those powders next go around

Comment

Working...
                X