Better made M40 stock reproductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better made M40 stock reproductions

Me and a buddy are in the process of talking with a company about having quality M40 stocks reproduced. This company has a huge history of making quality stocks. The only way we can do this to make all of us happy is if someone would temp-loan the company a true M40 stock. I would request that it would be one with a safety shelf.

These stocks would be a 90% stock. With that being said, we would order 100 stocks and offer them around $150 or so shipped! We have to order enough to wet the whistle of the company. These would be bare naked stocks with no buttplate or swivels.

I don't know about you but I'm tired of having these horror stories of crappy stocks and hours of labor to fix them. Payment wouldn't be required until the stocks are finished. We are working on getting a stock done so we can mark dimensions on it for everyone to see it.

What do you guys think? Who would be willing to temp loan a company a REAL M40 stock so it can be cloned? We would have YOU ship the stock and YOU get it back from the company. You would get at least one free stock for your troubles.

I don't know who you are talking to, but you might also want to contact Wenig's Gunstocks in Warsaw, MO. They have a big "gang" duplicator as Fred used to make all of Springfield Armory's stocks.

Comment

I would most certainly be interested in buying a couple!

DW

Comment

Last edited by USMCSGT0331; 11-22-2018, 04:14 AM.

Comment

• Game Warden
          Game Warden commented
          Editing a comment
          I will once we get the money portion ironed out. I want the stocks to go for about $150 to the members. Prices on eBay or Gunbroker should go higher to keep M40rifle members price down. I really want to just make sure that us, we who do builds and collect can get a quality product at a reasonable price. Even if it means we only break even on the stocks and shipping.

By the way, thanks. I will let you know who, hopefully soon and you two can work out the stock shipping.

Butt plates , you will need to find butt plates.

Comment

Or maybe have a quality precision firearms and accessories company make some. Hmm, there has to be one out there. I was actually thinking of running that past you but I know you've been busy lately. Chandler wants unreasonable money for his reproduction buttplates at $90 each plus shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerord View Post
            Butt plates , you will need to find butt plates.
            Yes. And the problem is, the buttplates needs to be the exact same lenght of the buttstock.

If you want to provide a quality product, buyers will have to provide their own buttplates. Or sell them with a buttplate. That being said, you cant just run a duplicator and turn 100 stocks. I have a dozen buttplates here, and none of them are the same length. 1 millimeter is enough that you have a noticable gap.

And then its carving/sanding time. And that pisses people off big time. That's the main reason every single M40 repro stocks 'project' was a failure. People dont want to or dont have time/skills to work 20 hours on a gun stock.

That's a great idea, please dont get me wrong. But if you want my honest opinion, people will never be 100% satisfied with a M40 repro stock. Expect a shitstorm of comebacks and whatnot; my BM doesnt fit, the barrel channel is too wide/thin, the safety bump is not correct, I want it without a safety bump, the buttplate doesnt fit, is it a Type 1 or Type 2?

Just read thru the threads here and on the Hide. Its been tried. Without much success.

Dont want to be a pest, but IMHO, that's the reality. Success is in the custom business. Send us you barreled action, bottom metal and buttplates, and we will make a custom M40 stock that will be a 100% fit to YOUR rifle and to your liking. No safety bump, no problemo. Type 1? No problemo.

Just a thought.

Comment

True, but none of the manufacturers that make the Stocks cut it for one specific buttplate. Any gunsmith or decently handy person can shape the butt of the stock and toe with the strip of sandpaper. If we were to do all of that stuff for them, it would be well over $150.

These are all good points. I'll probably just have 100 made for myself. After I check out the quality to see if they're consistent and gather parts, I will just sell them online.

Comment

Although it is a lot of work, if you have a large quantity of repro stocks, would you go full custom? You have the skills to make it happen.

Maybe I'm wrong, but people would pay over 150$ for a quality product. I say 250$ is still cheap for a 100% correct M40 stock that's 100% drop-in.

People pay huge amounts of money for correct receivers/parts and go cheap on the stock. Which is the most important part visually.

Comment

Remington had someone make 120 or so stocks for the MaWhinney guns and it seems those are deemed accepatable.

Who made those? Why wont they make more?
                  "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Not positive but I think that Remington actually made the butt of the older 60's smaller? I have at least a dozen 16601 butt plates. I had bought 8 takeoff 700P wood stocks from a PD in NY state 7-8 yrs ago who went to the synthetics when they became available. 3-4 of the wood stocks had the chit relieved out of barrel channel to float barrels. Either someone had no idea what they were doing or the wood kept moving on them? Anyway I took off the tenite butt plates to fit the earlier aluminum and most of the older buttplates are up to 1/4" too short and from an eighth to 3/16" too narrow. Also heel and toe have a larger radius on the newer stocks so overall considerable wood needs removed to fit the older used aluminum buttplates. From every pic I have found on earlier for sale rifles etc the sides are not anodized and have Dupont's poly finish. Therefore it is my assumption that the buttplates were installed and then the stock was sanded/finish sanded with buttplate on. One would almost have to find a stash of new not yet installed buttplates to install/sell with the reproduction stock IMO.

Also I had listed one of them on GB for giggles twice with last auction ending just a few days back with a starting bid of $250 with a buttplate that was very close to stock butt size. Had 2 gents that were adamant that my price was too high and both offered under $200 shipped. When I declined their offer and insisted that I was going no lower they got nasty in a hurry claiming I was completely out of line on my price and almost demanded I accept their "reasonable" offer and GB was frequented by colletors etc that "haggling" was acceptable and required. I don't "haggle" when I buy and generally never when I sell, especially to the tune of 30% or more reduction in my posted/starting price. Needles to say I will not be expecting a Christmas card from either! This was a stock that for all practicality will bolt right on and you could shoot it as they were on factory rifles. So, unless it is really cheap and takes little work there are few that will pay a big price for a plain wood stock and fewer yet capable or willing to fit barreled actions, different size buttplates etc. So after my experiences with selling what I had I will leave what I have hanging on the wall vs. trying to help someone out. Damn sure am not going to give mine away but found out that at least 2 obnoxious dicks feel I 'have to negotiate and haggle' down to what THEY are willing to pay or what THEY think my chit is worth.

Just my not so pleasant experience with trying to sell a relatively close M40 copy wood stock. Your Mileage may vary however.

Here is a couple of the poorer ones I used on a 40-X rimfire and a 222mag(need to get something done to Border stainless barrel).

Respectfully,
                  Dennis
                  Last edited by SDWhirlwind; 10-19-2015, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Last edited by USMCSGT0331; 11-22-2018, 04:14 AM.

Comment

• Game Warden
                      Game Warden commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That was my thought all along. Nothing is ever plug n' play with wood stocks. I'll get up with you later. If people want to buy them, I'll sell them. If not, I'll take it back and they can eat poo-poo.
                      Last edited by Game Warden; 10-19-2015, 11:45 PM.

Agree 100% with what said above.

My first comment was aimed at the after-sale service. From what I've seen and read thru the years, expect some criticisism, and be ready to deal with it. Even if you mention 'minor inletting and work required' some un-satisfied customers will come back at you with a brick and a hammer.

We all had big expectations from Silver Hill when the Remington walnut stock was depleted at Numrich. Until people started receiving their logs.

I will keep saying that providing a custom service, even if it costs more, will have more success than a cheaper product that still needs work. The goal is to be ahead of the competition. It can take a year to gather the parts for a correct build. Its a big disapointment for most people, to receive your stock, and nothing fits.

Is the goal to make money or help the community by prodiving a top of the line product?

Such a relief when buy a stock, drop the barreled action in, et voila. No slopiness, no shimming, no Dremeling, no sanding. Do the bedding and finish, and you're all set. People will gladly pay 250$ for a drop-in product.

Again, just my thoughts.

Comment

Did these stocks ever get made? I’m in the market for one.

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                      X