My (Early) M40A1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My (Early) M40A1

I finally had some time to get all the parts in one place and get a few pictures of my A1 in progress. Everything I have found thus far is a thanks to all the information so readily available on this forum so thank you to everyone who contributes so much great reading material everyday! I couldn’t have gotten this far in my quest without it.

-Late early range 6 digit barreled action - Built by PWS in Quantico so the clip slotting and stamping is done to spec. Lug and Magwell are tack welded which fits the early A1 design. Barrel is a contract USMC Schneider, would prefer a Hart barrel now but whats done is done. And of course a tapered crown all topped off with a correctly stamped and signed build book.
    -Issued Unertl - Unmodified
    -Issued ARD (Anti Reflection Device)
    -Post 64 Winchester Mod 70 Trigger Guard (Trigger guard in smear was fitted for post, didn't want to mess with the stock too much)
    -NOS - Super Grade Floor Plate
    -Issued Simrad
    -Replica A1 Mount
    -MRT 1907 Sling (March 1984)
    -Follower and Spring
    -Issued Early McMillan Smear Return Stock
    Last edited by macethetemplar; 03-07-2018, 07:57 PM.

If you're going to go six digit in a smear, you might as well go all the way and find a proper pre-64 trigger guard for it.
    You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

• macethetemplar
      macethetemplar commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually have one from my original plan but I had several people tell me that it didn't look right and that most of the return stocks were inletted for the larger guard so I should go with the later. I think your right though a pre-64 is the way it should end up. Thanks!

The smear came in! I don't think it could be more perfect and more exact to what I was looking for. Phone camera quality doesn't do it any justice.

Update to List:
    Pre 64 Winchester Mod 70 Steel Trigger Guard.
    Early McMillan Return Smear Stock
    MRT 1907 Sling (March 1984)
    Follower and Spring
    Action Screws
    Still waiting on the optic mount to come in but I'm not in any rush.

The only thing I appear to be missing part wise now is the correct hex head flat trigger guard screw. Does anybody have a line on where to get one or a spare laying around?

Also has anyone ever Black Oxide coated their follower? I was thinking about having that done with the other parts but I don't want any feeding issues.
    Last edited by macethetemplar; 07-19-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• macethetemplar
      macethetemplar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys. The back swivel was repaired at least once and the front twice. Ill add a pic of the repair spots. Still have to do the magnet test too.

• ScharfshutzeK98
      ScharfshutzeK98 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!

• J!m
      J!m commented
      Editing a comment
      The screws may actually be "oval head" if you search for them at say McMaster-Carr. Flat heads are really flat. The oval head is a taper like a flat head (82 degrees I think) but the top is slightly domed. It has a more finished look.

Then you just need to know the length, diameter and thread pitch.

Edit- you may want to consider a Torx head. They take more torque and will not slip out like a Phillips bit does.

Super-cool man! Congrats!

i had a chat with (Ms.) McMillian today and I'm 90+% sorted on the stock. It won't be a "smear" (woodland camo now) but it has the steel inserts, will have Witichita sling mounts installed, the brown "presentation " butt pad and fully inletted top and bottom.

Only the bottom metal details remain. I posted in the other thread because I'm getting confused. I was pretty sure it was a post-64 model 70 short action drop bottom but it seems it needs to be modified too?

and with regards to the barrel- should I send an action to Schneider or collect the barrel and send everything to one smith? Probably the latter but I figured I'd ask.

Comment

• macethetemplar
      macethetemplar commented
      Editing a comment
      For the bottom metal what you are looking for is two separate parts.The first is a Steel Winchester Model 70 floor plate. The second is a Winchester Model 70 trigger guard (post 64) The pre 64 is thinner and was used on early version like the one I am building. You will need to have them both modified to fit.

You can read more on this thread.

https://www.m40rifle.com/search?q=bo...om+metal%22%7D

Barrel wise you should collect everything and send it to a smith.

Ok great. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Hunting begins!

Comment

Received one awesome shipment yesterday and man was it worth the wait. Bedding job by Raven is so very smooth that you can’t feel where the stock ends and bedding begins. He also did a nominal job on the bottom metal and scope mount fitting.

Spent quite a few hours last night getting the scope mounted and leveled exactly perfect. Then a few attempts at getting the cheek piece exactly how I wanted it took another two hours. Still have to work on my field expedient sling and get the pelican case all carved up but not a bad start.

I was also pleasantly surprised the my issued ARD managed to fit perfectly. I was worried about it most people said theit ARD didn’t fit the A1 correctly but I can slide 2 pieces of paper underneath it so its not interfering.

Can’t wait to get it out to the thousand yard range in the coming weeks...

Comment

• pmclaine
        pmclaine commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful.

I understand that fit of the ARD is an issue with the USO scopes, perhaps the teflon coating being thicker than the finish Unertl used so the ARD itself wouldnt fit the bell correctly.

I dont recal ARD/barrel issues on the A1, but Im probably uninformed.

• macethetemplar
        macethetemplar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! And your probably right. I knew about the thicker coating issue with the USO MST's but some reason I thought that I read somewhere that the mounts were too low and wouldn't allow the ARD. Regardless no problems here!

• pmclaine
        pmclaine commented
        Editing a comment

That's a great looking rifle. Cant wait to see how it shoots.

DT

Comment

• macethetemplar
        macethetemplar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Range reports coming soon..

That’s a beautiful rifle congrats! Looks great!

Comment

Outstanding, congratulations!

Comment

Working...
        X