My build list / thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My build list / thread

Hi everyone. I realize I'm making a pest of myself here lately- I apologize for that. Rest assured I spend a LOT of time reading older posts and collecting as much data as I can to limit my pesky questions.

I want to compile my list here, for everyone to see (and make corrections to) so that I can collect the most accurate parts (within my budget) for an A-1 from the 1989-1999 issue time frame.

1) Stock: McMillan HTG plain
    1a) 1/2" Brown Presentation Pad - 13.5" LOP
    1b) Wichita machine thread swivel loops (~3" from front and rear of stock)
    1c) Steel blocks inserted for above
    1d) "sniper" fill
    1e) Color: Forest Camo
    1f) Inlet: Remington 700 Short action, USMC Contour Barrel, M40A1 Modified Winchester 2 Piece Floorplate.

2) Bottom Metal: Steel (not aluminum) Winchester model 70 (1964-up) short action
    2a) Modification required to fit

3) Receiver: Winchester 700; E-serial seems to fit the time frame
    3a) I found a five-digit serial donor rifle that feels really nice...
    3b) A donor rifle is available here I may acquire instead (I have asked the seller via PM)
    3c) Modified (probably by Raven- maybe he will do my build too!) for clip slot and mag well welding etc. as required. Note to self: chat with Raven!
    3d) slotted head mounting screws

4) Barrel: Hart; Item: 30-12
    Description (Hart paperwork): 30 Caliber, 12" twist - SB M40A1 (4" cylinder straight taper)
    Dimensions: 25-inch OAL (including chamber threads) 6-groove, Stainless barrel 1.200 for 4-inch length; then straight taper down to approx. .920 at the muzzle. .308 Winchester chamber.

4.5) Finish: all HOT BLUED, BEAD BLAST AND HYDROCHLORIC ACID ETCH PREP
    4.5.1) stainless barrel finish: Yes, stainless will take bluing when using salts designed for stainless, like Oxynate #84 and similar.

5) Trigger group: Stock (verify pull weight is correct) modified per USMC drawings to fit W70 trigger guard.

6) Sling: M1907
    6a) Found 2011-2012 new ones but I'd like one from my "target" time frame please!

7) Optic Mount: Redfield 700SA base with 1" Medium height rings (with bottom mount screws)
    7a) I will tig weld it and then lap the rings prior to bead blast and hot bluing

8) Optic: Leaning toward the Weaver T10X with the dot due to "correctness" and price point (plus it's a decent scope!) dot versions are not common but not impossible to find either.
    8a) Found restored T10X's (without the dot) out of Texas...
    8b) "dream" optic is the Unertil USMC sniper one of course... Exceeds my entire build budget so not holding my breath.
    8c) USO version of above... Similar costing issues...
    8d) USO LR10/LR17? Won't fit the 1" mount and didn't really want a variable.

Other optic options in my other thread. If I deviate i may go with an IOR 10 X 42 and Pic rail because the "bang for the buck" is outstanding there in my opinion... I know it's not right, but its also easily corrected when my numbers come up in the lottery.

9) I got some reproduction log books on the way from Tiki (thank you again!) and I will fully document every round from new build (including sign-off of the builder) on this in that book.

I welcome all input on this. And I appreciate your patience as I get up to speed on the minutiae.
    Last edited by J!m; 08-02-2017, 10:52 PM.

Chatting with Karen Hart on the barrel:

"Jim - each barrel is made per order - we do run 5-7 weeks - the price is $330.00 for a contoured barrel unchambered/unthreaded (26" finish and under) and $345.00 if it finishes up to 30". Hope this helps. Thank you!"

so I'm confused- I assumed it would be threaded for the receiver and rough chambered? I asked Karen but haven't heard back yet.

Worst case id kindly ask for profile details as accurately as possible so I can pass it along.

Comment

• Raven 6
      Raven 6 commented
      Editing a comment
      No it is a blank, you do not want a barrel already threaded if you plan to true up the action.

• J!m
      J!m commented
      Editing a comment
      Raven- your in box is full!

I would very much like you to put this together for me. Please send me a PM for email/phone contact details. Your attention to detail is inspiring. I'm the same way about stuff.. looking forward to chatting...

Just ask for USMC M40A1 contract blank.

Your smith will thread, cut to length, crown, chamber.

Get one good chef, keep all the others out of the kitchen. The soup will taste better.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

This is what I sent this morning.

"Good morning.

I am building up an M40A-1 replica and would like a Hart barrel identical to those supplied to the USMC around the 1989-1999 time frame. " ...

maybe i I got a standard answer without regards to the d tails... obviously I want to make sure it's right!

I need to speak to Dr. Raven but I appreciate his attention to details. I think I'd like him to assemble it for me.

Comment

Raven 6 has exceeded his private message quota... hopefully he'll see this and reach out.

Comment

1) Stock: McMillian
          1a) Brown Pad, THIN .6" PACHMAYR PRESENTATION (I THOUGHT THEY STOPPED OFFERING THESE AS AN OPTION. CHECK TO BE SURE THEIR PADS ARE THIN, NOT THICK, BEFORE THEY PERMANENTLY SCREW UP YOUR LENGTH OF PULL LIKE THEY DID MINE. YOU MAY HAVE TO SOURCE YOUR OWN PAD)
          1F) NO TEXTURE

2) Bottom Metal: Winchester model 70 (post 1964) short action, STEEL

3) Receiver: Winchester 700; E-serial seems to fit the time frame
          3c) Modified (DEFINITELY by Raven- maybe he will do my build too!) for clip slot and mag well welding etc. as required. Note to self: chat with Raven!

4.5) Finish: all HOT BLUED, BEAD BLAST AND HYDROCHLORIC ACID ETCH PREP

5) Trigger group: Stock (verify pull weight is correct), MODIFIED TO FIT TRIGGER GUARD

7) Optic Mount: Redfield 700SA base with Medium height rings (with bottom mount screws)
          7a) I will tig weld it and lap the rings prior to BLUING
          7B) SLOTTED MOUNTING SCREWS
          You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

• J!m
            J!m commented
            Editing a comment
            From McMillian earlier...

Stock: HTG PLAIN
            Color: Forest Camo
            Fill: Sniper
            Pad: ½” Brown Presentation Pad @13.5” LOP
            Studs: Witchita Swivel Loops

Inlet: Remington 700 Short action, USMC Contour Barrel, M40A1 Modified Winchester 2 Piece Floorplate.

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            "Bead blasting I can do but might as well let Raven do it."
            Bead blasting needs to be done IMMEDIATELY before the acid etch and blue to be most effective. Otherwise the surface will go passive.

" New parts were blued for sure but I understood once they went for rebuild they would be parkerized"
            M40s were Parkerized, not M40A1s

"And the Hart barrel is stainless; i.e. won't blue (not at the normal temperature anyway)."
            Yes, stainless will take bluing when using salts designed for stainless, like Oxynate #84 and similar.

The 1/2" Presentation pad is the correct one. For a while there they had stopped offering them. Looks good.
            Last edited by SemperFi; 08-02-2017, 03:11 PM.

• J!m
            J!m commented
            Editing a comment
            Always best to prep right before coating- regardless of the coating.

I've been doing thermal spray for almost 30 years now. If I did the prep, I'd also vacuum bag the parts. But, it is easier if it is done there.

Looking for barrel specs again for Karen...

Comment

• J!m
            J!m commented
            Editing a comment
            Great to have a double check on the barrel specs. Thank you!

I sent this (and a photo for good measure!)

25-inch OAL (including chamber threads) USMC Spec. 1-12 twist, 6-groove, Stainless barrel 1.200 for 4-inch straight taper to approx. .920 at muzzle. .308 Winchester chamber.

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            The item and description above are straight from their paper work on both barrels I bought from them.

• J!m
            J!m commented
            Editing a comment
            And she came back and confirmed when I asked if the specs I have her were right:

"The original ones were that taper and then others changed to a taper similar to the Remington varmint"

I got a note from Raven... Reaching out now.

Comment

Today's update:

i had had a nice chat with Raven and I'm excited to be working with him. I have a few more pieces to collect and then the fun starts. Barrel is in process now...

Comment

Today's update:

i have the correct Redfield rings inbound- 1" medium two screw from the bottom. New, old stock. Found a nickel plated base too- I may get it but that plating may be harder to remove than bluing so I'm still looking for a 700sa.

Also a sling. New from 2011 but at least it's correct. I'll keep looking for the right year (89-99) before I open the bag.

Comment

Adding to the list, Bildoe308 was kind enough to offer a reproduction Unertl base and SIMRAD mount. Very happy about that! And received in hand this morning. He has another set available if you need one. Very smooth and easy transaction with him too! I may have the NOS in the box bottom screw medium Redfield rings available... I may also put together a collection of optics in their appropriate bases so I can change up things a bit (and handy in case of a failure).

E-prefix receiver on the way shortly too! Many thanks to USMCSGT0331 for working with me on that. It looks so interesting I may throw it together and send some rounds down range before sending it to Raven in Virginia...

I also received (earlier, and neglected to update), my tube data books from tokiwartooth . If you are building an M40 variant, you need one of his books! That was a silky smooth transaction as well. I also realized he is somewhat local to me, so perhaps one weekend we can get together for some range time and beers (AFTER range time) in the future.

Things are coming together!

EDIT=> I was just handed my (2011 date) sling!
                Last edited by J!m; 08-10-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Comment

Jim, You have really collected some nice pieces for the build!

Comment

Yes I have been very fortunate and the seasoned veterans of the site have been very welcoming to me.

Comment

wyosniper and I have come to a deal. I now have a stock inbound!

so that leaves the magazine, follower and bottom metal.

Almost there!
                        Last edited by J!m; 08-13-2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X