Collapse

My build list / thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! Assumed the group was shot from 100 yards? Sounds like he's having too much fun shooting your rifle. Might be a while until you get it

Where did you find the screws used for the scope mount?

Originally posted by J!m View Post
    Click image for larger version  Name:	M40-6 004.JPG Views:	1 Size:	149.8 KB ID:	38522

You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

The oxide covered that jeweling on the bolt nicely.

usually a lot more showing despite the finish.

Looks great.

when you get it shows a 5x5 on a M40Rifle target.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Thanks guys! It seems it was worth the wait! Looking forward to sending rounds down range myself. By the way, this was not "fancy" ammo either. This was done using the Federal Gold Medal Match 175 Sierra BTHP "off the shelf". So, possibly, I can squeeze a bit more out of it with a tailored load, although honestly, I don't see it getting a whole lot better than what we're seeing here.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to sending rounds down range myself. And by the way, this was using "off the shelf" Federal Gold Medal Match, 175 Sierra BTHP, not some fancy hand-loads. So, in theory, there might be something left on the table here but I honestly don't expect a lot more can be wrung from it... And with my limited time for such activities, I'll probably just keep stocking up on the Federal and use that. I have a few hundred rounds of the (light) hand loads I made up for my 700P that I'll probably waste through this to see how it compares, just to use it up.Those are Varget minimum charge with a light (125 grain if memory serves) BT bullet.

Comment

• Bildoe308
            Bildoe308 commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats on the New rifle Jim, a long time in the making!

• J!m
            J!m commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Bill!

I should have it tomorrow or Thursday... Should be delivered to the store today but I suspect they'll sit on it a day at least before they bother to call me.

Palmetto state has special today FGMM at $16 and change delivered.

Reloaders are hard pressed to make ammo as consistent as FGMM I suggest you buy lots
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• J!m
            J!m commented
            Editing a comment
            There might be some restriction shipping to CT, but I cannot access their page on that stuff- it's not scrolling so I can read. When you purchase in person, you have to show your permit to purchase. So I suspect big brother keeps tract of exactly how many rounds you purchase...

Cabellas usually has it reasonably priced every so often. I just grab it there.

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            "When you purchase in person, you have to show your permit to purchase."

Really?! I thought Californians were the only ones having to put up with this shitty infringement. Thank God for the new Supreme Court! Maybe, someday, we will be free again without having to shed blood.

• J!m
            J!m commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I don't know exactly when that went into effect, but I was surprised the first time I went to buy some cartridges and was subjected to interrogation... I historically did predominantly hand loads so I wasn't buying loaded ammo; however I think it may extend to buying components (bullets, primers, powder, casings) as well these days.

SemperFi are you talking about the screws for the SIMRAD mount?

I think I still have a whole bag of them if you need some.

Comment

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, but it was the slotted base screws that I was wondering about. None of the commercial screws are the right dimensions that I have found.

• J!m
            J!m commented
            Editing a comment
            Mark provided the base screws. I didn’t have those.

I got the call from the local shop last night.

I'll be picking it up today!

Comment

Working...
          X