Advertisement

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40A1 with bipod???

We're any of the M40A1s issued with a bipod? Added later? If so what bipod and when did they start using them?

I think some guys added Harris bipods later but none were ever issued as far as I am aware.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Its my understanding that just prior to the A3 coming on line guys were modifying the front sling swivel to accept a bipod in some manner and a member here actually has made an adaptor that replace the front sling swivel to provide a solid bipod mount.

I dont know the full story of how that replacement adaptor came about but I wonder if it was something the Marine Corps initially did.
        "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• J!m
          J!m commented
          Editing a comment
          You can probably rip the loop out of a Wichita swivel and use the remains to secure a Harris... they might even have a few “damaged” ones to donate.

Duct tape!!!

I had 2 return stocks that had bipod studs installed in front of the sling swivel. Not "spec" per say, but definitely added. I wish I hadn't, but I had em removed and filled when rifles were built and sold the other one.

Also, SD I think was selling swivel studs, and yes a simple dremel of the loop makes a perfect interchangeable bipod stud adapter. Very useful.

Regards,
        DT

Comment

DT, do you still have the "odd" M40A1 finger-painted stock?

Comment

Working...
          X