Cprefix m40a1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cprefix m40a1

It seems like there is a lot of information on 6 digit m40a1s, but I haven't seen much for cprefixes. Can some of you post up your markings and rifles? I am not sure what are the correct markings and stamps for one. Thanks

Here are a few photos of a rifle I had done at PWS last year.
    I asked similar questions prior to the build and, based on the info I got, this is how the rifle turned out....

Comment

• SemperFi
      SemperFi commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything I see on this build looks correct to me. The muzzle looks deeper than .050", but there seems to have been a fair amount of latitude in muzzle recess dimensions. I believe there were variations in bolt marking too. Notice, especially, the thumb relief scallop contour and height.

Is your magazine box welded? I wonder if the c prefixes are or not?

Comment

Yes, it is.

I told the builder to build the rifle exactly as he would build a gun going out to the fleet. The only thing I specified was the way I wanted the bolt handle marked.

Comment

The C series showed the most diversity, as much of the work that Remington had done on the six digits was now performed in shop at Quantico while uniform standards for some features had not yet been set.

No U.S. marking, though some were apparently engraved US at some point.

Clip slotting was done in house, and seems to have run the gamut from full clip slotting with the 'ears', to lug slotting. The left receiver rail was not typically cut back, and iron sight holes were not drilled in the side of the receiver. You should have your builder pay particular attention to the thumb relief cut, as that was not a variable amongst the M40/M40A1s as far as I have seen.
        You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

I took this picture on Camp Pendleton around 2005. This rifle, serial 224313, was in the PMO armory and was regularly used by the SRT team. We had four M40A1's and this one was my favorite.

When I had my C-prefix built last year, I asked for the bolt to be marked in the same manner. The builder told me he had never seen one done this way, and that it was outside the build procedure, but he'd do whatever I wanted.

Most people would probably look at my rifle and say those stampings aren't correct and, technically, they're right. But, there is/was at least one real M40A1 done this way and I used to fire it all the time.

Point being, some 2112's stuck to the build procedures and some departed. As SemperFi stated above, there was plenty variance amongst these rifles.

Comment

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice photo. I don't know that there was a build procedure in place when the Corps received the 99 barreled actions from Remington in 1992. The variation on those seems to suggest there wasn't, but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by SemperFi View Post
          The C series showed the most diversity, as much of the work that Remington had done on the six digits was now performed in shop at Quantico while uniform standards for some features had not yet been set.

No U.S. marking, though some were apparently engraved US at some point.

Clip slotting was done in house, and seems to have run the gamut from full clip slotting with the 'ears', to lug slotting. The left receiver rail was not typically cut back, and iron sight holes were not drilled in the side of the receiver. You should have your builder pay particular attention to the thumb relief cut, as that was not a variable amongst the M40/M40A1s as far as I have seen.
          You said the same thing on mine. But this one looks similar to the one on my rifle.

Comment

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            Which detail?
            Last edited by SemperFi; 01-01-2018, 06:22 PM.

The thumb relief.

Comment

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            pm sent, DeepC
        Working...
        X