M40a-1 mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40a-1 mount

Guys I contacted TwoManAttack about getting a mount built to donate to Combact Marine Outdoors benifit. He is out but will do a build run, he needs an order of 10 or more. So if you need one post on this thread so we can get things moving. I am donating a USO MST-100 and want to round it out so let's get things moving. I will get him to post pricing. I have a tread started over on SH

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads...ounts.6899495/

I'm probably going to be in for one, I have to make sure its in my budget... It seems they sell for $400-$450 if I remember correctly???
    Thanks!
    DW

Comment

• SemperFi
      SemperFi commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember they were $300-$350, but that was three years ago.

Lugged or not?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
      Lugged or not?
      they will be M40a-1 spec mounts, so lugged

Comment

Any word on the cost of the mounts?

Make sure to post up a link to the benefit when it's time ; )
        DW

Comment

Need a few more people to go over to the Hide and commit to this group by so it will happen...
          DW

Comment

Is the price still a secret?
            You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

• deltawiskey
              deltawiskey commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, unfortunately...

Twoman had a few for sale on ebay several months ago, I bought one, and they were $425 then, and they are very nicely done.
            jack1911

Comment

What is an original mount worth?

Comment

• J!m
                J!m commented
                Editing a comment
                Knowing, to some degree, that the USMC is of the mind set of "get it done", and believe it or not, rather rough with equipment, I suspect the original, issued mounts were induction brazed, as delivered from Unertl to the USMC and when the braze let go, the armorers jigged them up (hopefully) and tacked them to get them back in service.

I would therefore venture a guess that if you dissected an issued mount that has tack (not spot) welds, you will also find that there is braze there as well. And the welds may not be too pretty (in USMC fashion) but due to the contamination the braze would do to the weld site, more than poor welding skill.

And why didn't TMA make the mounts as exact as he could? They could be stamped on the underside with a maker's mark of some sort, to prevent "scammers" while still providing an exact replica for us. I guess it doesn't matter and we should be thankful there are reproductions available for us at all!

• SemperFi
                SemperFi commented
                Editing a comment
                "mount that has tack (not spot) welds"

You're right. Thank you for the correction.
                The welds on the issued mounts were surprisingly well done. Not ugly at all in the ones I've seen.
                The TMA mount is made so much like the originals, that I can't figure out in a side by side comparison where the "hidden flaw" is for certain. From a collecting/investment standpoint, I do wish there was a simple, visual way to know pre-purchase.
                Last edited by SemperFi; 09-10-2018, 10:52 AM.

• J!m
                J!m commented
                Editing a comment
                It's all good. Just for those who know what a spot weld is, they might be looking for a spot weld, see the tack weld, and maybe think that's not it... Not trying to be "that" guy...

To keep thing orderly and if you are really wanting one please follow my SH link to add your name to the list

Comment

I got an email from twoman today regarding the cost of the mounts:
                "Not sure on pricing just yet as I am waiting to see what kind of demand we will have. If it’s only 10 prices the mounts will be about $415 like last time."
                DW

Comment

thanks DW.....

Comment

On a side note, if you are hard up try and drop US Optics a call, they may have some of their mounts still floating around.

And they were pretty nice mounts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	39313Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	39312

Comment

Working...