Clip slot prints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clip slot prints

Can someone send me the prints for the clip and thumb slot for the a1?

Something like this?

Comment

• SemperFi
      SemperFi commented
      Editing a comment
      Be very careful using this print. It has omissions and errors. If you follow it exactly for an M40 or M40A1, you will have permanently damaged your action for such a build.

• kft101
      kft101 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm, I didn't realize the blueprint I posted was not correct for the M40 and M40A1 clip slotting. What's wrong with it, so I may know for future reference?

And if it will irreparably harm an action for the USMC clip slotting, I can go ahead and delete the post.

"Hmm, I didn't realize the blueprint I posted was not correct for the M40 and M40A1 clip slotting. What's wrong with it, so I may know for future reference?
    And if it will irreparably harm an action for the USMC clip slotting, I can go ahead and delete the post."

AFAIK, it's the only print we have. From a machinists perspective, IF only the given dimensions are used, with NO assumptions, then no harm will be done. The caution is against making assumptions based on what is visible in the drawing, but not dimensioned. The print should be distributed and used, with these caveats. JMO

For example, on the inside of the left rail of the receiver, notice the two short vertical lines in the side view. WRONG! Do not cut those. I believe those lines were erroneously transferred from the top view, where the recesses are present in the bolt rail (near the magazine well). Maybe that cut was done on civilian rifles, but I don't think I've ever seen the rail on a legitimate M40 cut that way. Once cut, this cannot be reversed.

Also, notice the height of the thumb relief cut is not given, and that a dimension is not given for the return radius shown. On the factory cut M40s, the return is not a radius cut. It is a simple smoothing of the sharp corner where the thumb relief scallop meets the ejection port. As for the height of where the scallop enters the ejection port, I have seen no actual dimension any where, but it certainly is NOT as high as is shown in the print. The cut should enter the ejection port at about the height of the top, or to the center of the expansion port at the front receiver ring for reference. But, if cut as shown in the print, it could be recut lower, so this is repairable.

And then, one needs to consider the action being cut- 6 digit, C, or E. 6-digits and C were slotted at the factory. E were slotted by RTE, and show some variation. In fact, most E were merely lug slotted, and not actually clip slotted. Though, due to variation amongst 2112s, some clip slotted E may exist.

The receiver side screws for iron sights were standard on the 6-digits. One will note that C and E do not have these holes on legitimate, factory cut receivers, though, again, some bored 2112 may have drilled and tapped some C or E receivers for whatever reason. A drilled and tapped C or E is not easily repairable.

The top of the left rail was cut back on the factory cut receivers (6-digit and C), as shown in the print (but not directly dimensioned). E receivers may or may not be cut back, as it is not a necessary cut. A rail that is cut back could always be correct. But, a rail on a 6-digit or C that is not cut back can be corrected with additional machining.

The thumb relief cut height was pretty standard among the 6-digit, C, and E receivers. The factory cut receivers (6-digit and C) all seem to have the same thumb scallop cut shape, height, and corner relief. The E receivers I have seen all show the same shape and height, but I've seen some that exhibit a more rounded return than the factory cut receivers do, again, due to individual 2112 machining.

The E allow for much variation. The 6-digit and C varied very little. One such variation is shown by Senich in The One-Round War, where the dimple cuts on some clip slots were left uncut.
    Last edited by SemperFi; 11-11-2018, 02:57 AM.
    You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Working...
    X