So why are the mods playing games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why are the mods playing games?

I think you guys owe everyone an explanation why you are editing and locking posts so frequently. This is supposed be a place to share information on these rifles. What gives?

To this point, I can well understand that somebody with an interest in an auction may not want the auction details broadcast. I know this because I have been on the other end of this several times. However nobody ever shut down the posts for me and I've had many things bid up that I would have liked kept quiet. I just take this as the way it goes. But I guess some folks rate special treatment?

I found the auction in question and while I don't plan to bid I think it is of interest to all.

So what is going on here?
    Last edited by Majikani; 11-19-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Defender3
      Defender3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I asked the Mods to lock it.

Whats going on here, is that we have a job to do. Our job is to decide what’s best for the forum, the members and the original poster of the thread. We dont chose sides, we chose what’s best for the community. We understand that some members will be pissed about it and not agree with us, but unfortunately we cant make everybody happy.

There is no evil force behind it, there is no secret society governing what we do here. Just ordinary guys with daily jobs trying to keep things in order. We dont get any benefits out of it, we do it on our own free time. And if some of you think we are getting a kick out of deleting or editing threads that are going sour, you are wrong. No matter what we do, we always are the bad guy. We take shit from every sides. I assume what I do, and will always be available to answer any questions or concerns our members have.

We try our best to keep things organized and under control. And sometimes we have to use drastic measures to accomplish this. This forum has seen some really bad days in the past, we lost some members and contributors, but the forum is still up and running. Maybe we are not so bad after all, and we’re doing a good job. I dont know.

I do hope that you guys will understand. Some
    wont, but there is not much more I can do except being 100% honest about our actions.

We are here to learn and have fun. If you dont have fun here anymore, please dont put it on us.

Sincerely,
    David

Comment

• Majikani
      Majikani commented
      Editing a comment
      David, I for one greatly appreciate what you all do. I hope my questioning the actions taken regarding this thread aren't misconstrued otherwise. So it was all done at the OP's request. That answers that. The issue I had was with seemingly uneven policies however I see that the difference is with the OP not the forum policy.

• Hawk
      Hawk commented
      Editing a comment
      Having my own forum as well as the original owner of the m14forum, can certainly appreciate and understand where you are coming from. Keep the faith and carry on!

If you guys need an explanation for the thread that was locked tonite, it was done per the OP’s request. The OP even deleted the link when asked to. There is nothing we can do about that. Its his thread. We dont have any control about what’s asked in private. OP’s have a certain control over threads they start. If they want us to delete or edit a specific post, we decide what’s best and take action.

Comment

• Majikani
      Majikani commented
      Editing a comment
      So if this was all about the OP's wishes then there is no reason why I shouldn't just re post the link myself to get this back out in the open again?

David,

I think we all appreciate your efforts to do what is best for the forum and community. But, can you elaborate on why deleting a link to the auction was needed for this forum? I, for one, don't understand why discussion of a rifle at auction would be a bad thing.

v/r
    Steve

Comment

• SDWhirlwind
      SDWhirlwind commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea Skunk, by the guys that have 5 greenies already and all the other goodies taxpayers purchased that walked away from RTE/ PWS. They have a bottomless pit for funds and still want to control the info if/when something else comes up for sale. How many handfuls of taxpayer purchased 40X bases do you have? I surf these forums 2-3 times daily for any new info posted on M40/A1 but rarely post because of the 5yr old tantrum's by a couple of members with the most stuff that complain the most about this very issue! Many of us never see some items morso ever afford to outbid a couple of gents to own one so posting links when we found something so everyone could learn/see one etc was/is the only way we learn. But that is taboo to certain gents wanting everything except publicity on item/s!!!! Or the gent that had a tantrum about making reproduction parts and stated that us p&ssheads that weren't a USMC 2112 weren't worthy of owning or shooting or admiring the tools they use!!!! So now my drivel can be locked or deleted and my account closed I suspect!!! Some here only like one way traffic!

Sorry for sentence structure and spelling, reason for both is what kept me out of military in early 70's and strokes from surgeries to correct those issues later in life.

Respectfully,
      Dennis

• Skunk
      Skunk commented
      Editing a comment
      Dennis,

The only correction I would make to what you've written is to stop referring to them as "gents."

• MikeW
      MikeW commented
      Editing a comment
      Dennis thanks for sharing your knowledge of M40's when I first picked up my smear stock about 10 years ago. Have a Happy Thanksgiving

Guys, I started this mess by posting a link to a Julia-like auction site with an item I thought would spur community discussion. I was contacted by a member who asked, politely, I remove the link, to which I agreed and did. The member was nice enough to explain his reasoning and he offered posting these type auction links is generally frowned upon on the site. No problem by me, any site owner who pays the bills and takes the time to run herd over the community can set the parameters they see fit to keep things orderly. Unfortunately, the edit function doesn't allow an OP to edit the title of the post, or to delete the post. If it did, I could have nuked the thread with immediacy and stemmed some of this tide.

My user name is the same across every forum, so I started to get messages (on more than one forum BTW) asking about the link, it's removal, etc. It was clear there was going to be a storm so I contacted a Mod and asked them to nuke the entire thread. They choose to lock it and that's where we find ourselves this morning. I understand there are differing positions about the free flow of information within a community. I was not trying to take any particular side, just being civil by responding to a thoughtful position and request. If anyone involved wants to further the discussion by chiming in, I'll leave that to them.

Now, let me offer a comment. There are a lot of people across several communities who know about the item in question and the site, heck, it was posted on the Hide last evening. My personal opinion is there are a lot of us with good internet skills who can find this stuff in about 10 minutes with minimal effort. As such, why restrict the information if it only benefits a select few? This is a conundrum I flirted with for 30 years within the Garand community and I've grown to dislike certain shenanigans in that community. Only people in the know found out about desirable rifles/parts, they traded information between themselves and some even acted with ill intent in order to acquire (notice I didn't say collect), and all the wile doing so in the name of collecting, research, furthering the hobby, etc., etc. It would be a shame to see the same affect the folks here.

ETA - The mods could consider requiring registration in order to view and make posts. It tells me something when there a 5 members and 101 "guests" on a site. If you want to keep research and info within this particular community, then restrict site access so there is transparency for all by making people register to view or post.

ETA II - I should have added that I think the sharing of information and links is the true benefit of being in a community. You share observations, have discussions, learn and make discoveries; maybe you save someone serious money when it's discovered the item is not as claimed. Just my opinion, but that's a healthy community.
    Last edited by Defender3; 11-20-2018, 04:35 PM. Reason: More guests on-line than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Defender3 View Post
      This is a conundrum I flirted with for 30 years within the Garand community and I've grown to dislike certain shenanigans in that community. Only people in the know found out about desirable rifles/parts, they traded information between themselves and some even acted with ill intent in order to acquire (notice I didn't say collect), and all the wile doing so in the name of collecting, research, furthering the hobby, etc., etc. It would be a shame to see the same affect the folks here.
      That is exactly what seems to be happening here.

Comment

• Defender3
        Defender3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Based off my one thread? I understand there can be strong feelings, but continued discussion is key to a healthy community. I'd hate to see people post less or worse, leave, because of a single post.

• Skunk
        Skunk commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Many believe it was for a self-serving purpose that some "member" asked you to remove the link, and that you were used as a mule to perpetrate exactly the kind of shenanigans you experienced the Garand community.

• Defender3
        Defender3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Understand. I can't explain past what I said. Any further clarity will have to come from elsewhere.

Clearly there are strong feelings and thoughts that precede my posting of the link. They need to be addressed by some so it doesn't fester.

I have thought about the original thread as well as this one, and resisted the urge to comment. But I would like to add my thoughts since I have been a moderator on other forums, was first to comment on the original thread, and I do admire these rifles and the Marines that used them.

Moderating forums is a selfless act that is at times very frustrating and at others very rewarding. On the sites that I have moderated...the amount of chatter between the mods about what to do regarding a controversial thread was at times overwhelming. So thanks to the admin/mod's here for providing us a forum to share knowledge of the m40 rifles, gear, and other military equipment.

That being said I will add my two cents about someone asking that the link be removed. Removing the link at the request of a site member was very nice of Defender3. While I do understand why someone would ask Defender3 to remove the link to an auction that they may have an interest in... it is a reminder to me that collecting these rifles and its parts is an intimidating task.

I know that some of the collectors with the “ultra rare” M40 series pieces and knowledge of the platform are no longer here on the site. Combine that with the fact that there is circle of those with the “good stuff” that is a VERY small circle that seems almost impossible to get an invite to at any cost. In the long run I see these as huge challenges to those of us that have the disposable income, desire to collect, and willingness to passionately build these types of rifles to shoot at the range or have as a safe full of queens to fondle. On the other hand I cannot blame the folks that have some of the rare items for not wanting to sell them or I would be a hypocrite.

Comment

Defender3 what I want to know is why you are taking the heat for this? I mean whoever asked you to take it down is the reason for this. I am sorry but if something i did caused this much issue I would have chimed in by now. The mod (seems) like they jumped in at the wrong time. I don't like censorship or being lied to. Don't tell me it's raining... The issue I have had is how often things have been changed or covered up. Someone blasts someone and the website is down for a day while it gets scrubbed. I remember the issues that were had with a few people on here. 2man, usmcsgt, etc... I just brought up the elephant because it was a big ass elephant. Shenanigans like this make me lose interest quickly. I have built relationships with a lot of the members on here and try to help people get parts when I can. I had messages flying in last night over this because we all talk to each other. We all try to help each other the best we can. That helps everyone keep their projects going.
        When we have backdoor deals or people asking for auctions to not be advertised it leaves a bad taste with everyone. The fact that questions don't get answered or rules get made up along the way isn't cool.
        So if this was all about the OP's wishes then there is no reason why I shouldn't just re post the link myself to get this back out in the open again?
        So I made this thread, Can I post the link then?
        I can't tell you how many times I have tried to bid on a scope on CMP and someone puts it on here. It is almost expected at this point but I never asked for people to remove it. Hell half of what I see I keep pics of for reference later. Honesty is a way better policy with this and at this point being transparent is the only way out. Right now this made this forum look like garbage to the 110 lurkers (visitors) and the 10 members online. Integrity is all I am asking.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepC Infidel View Post
          Defender3 what I want to know is why you are taking the heat for this?
          He's not taking the heat, he's being honest and up front about what happened.

I will say it again, the thread was locked per the OP's request. If you want to post the link again, go ahead. We wont stop it.

How many links to online items have been posted in the last year? 30? 40? 50? I mean, every single USMC items on the CMP is being posted here. Did we ever deleted the links? Nope. Did we ever closed threads containing linked items? Nope. Unless asked, or if the threads are going sour.

Comment

Well, I finally have some time away from the family and I'd like to address this. I'm the one who messaged Defender3 about removing the auction link, to which he kindly obliged. I had no idea what kind of shit show this would turn out to be, so I would like to extend my apologies to both Defender3 and MescaBug.

Defender3 and Mesca, I'm sorry that you guys took some heat from a few of the guys on here, their anger was irrational and misplaced. Both of you handled the situation with honesty and integrity. I'm very sorry that my actions put you guys in the frying pan, had I known this would be the outcome, my actions would have been different. Defender3 is a pretty cool guy and I've enjoyed our PM discussion. The community needs both of you guys to stick around and I hope that you guys will.

That being said, the "sky is falling" conspiracy theories and knee jerk emotional reactions were completely uncalled for. Both Defender3 and Mesca told everyone exactly what happened, but unfortunately, a few people decided to pour some gas on the embers. I wish I had the time to hop on here sooner, but my visiting family takes precedence over internet squabbling. Emotions have always run high on this site, you've all but up with my shit over the years, so this isn't really anything new.

I originally reached out to Defender3 and asking him to remove the link because myself and a few buddies had been watching these auctions for the past few weeks. The auction house was pretty obscure, no links had been posted on other sites and we put in countless hours researching most of the rifles that were listed (from WWII up until current). We ran serial numbers, picked apart every defining feature and even contacted previous owners to ask them about the guns in this auction (even though most of the sniper rifles came from 1 consignor, we found some of the guys who sold their rifles to him!). How many of you guys put this much work into researching a potential purchase?

I spend weeks researching before I put a penny down on anything and I don't use any information that's posted on this site. It's tedious networking in order to gain knowledge, not some halfhearted internet discussion. I can guarantee that the people who know the history on some of these rifles aren't going to publicly share this information. There's a lot of information that isn't posted on this site and the only way to find it is to actually get off the computer and start talking to people.

This decision to ask that a link be pulled was indeed in our best interest, we actually put the time into thoroughly researching every interesting rifle in this auction and we're ready to put money on the line. It's one thing to demand a forum discussion or to armchair quarterback, it's something completely different when you actually have skin in the game. With the amount of "I'm not bidding" posts from active members, I'm not sure how any of this actually affects most people here to begin with.

This also isn't the first time I've asked someone to remove a link and I bet it won't be the last time either. I know other people who have done similar, it happens, welcome to the world of collecting. I do not threaten, force or use any underhanded tactic to make someone comply with my request. I ask nicely, and say "please" and "thank you." If the person chooses to keep their link up, then it ends there, no one else gets involved and I go away to prepare for the upcoming bidding war. I've seen members on this site do much worse than kindly ask a favor, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over irritating 2 or 3 people who want to lose their minds over this nonsense.

However, this isn't the only reason why I contacted Defender3. I want you all to read a post I made a little over 2 years ago:

"Even though I sent Majikani a PM giving him even more shit, I'm actually not even going to bid on this item and I never planned on bidding on it. Sorry Majikani, sometimes it's fun just to mess with people

The main point I wanted to make with my post is that it's shitty to have live auction/sales links posted on a public forum. There are a lot of collectors out there who spend hours every single day trying to track down these items, only to have their chances of acquiring rare M40 stuff ruined.

This forum has attracted tons of lurkers who just want these auction tips; lurkers who contribute nothing to our community or knowledge base. These individuals are capable of winning any auction out there and may not even be knowledgeable on what they're purchasing. Hell, most times the lurkers probably can't even find this stuff without help because it's been mislabeled, posted on a site they don't normally go on, etc. Why should we help these people out? If they want auction tips, they can participate in the forum and make friends here. I regularly talk to a few people on this forum and we freely share this type of info with each other.

Phil mentioned a moral dilemma, whether or not to post an active link on the forum. On one hand you are sharing with friends, on the other lurkers can benefit and your friends will get outbid. In my opinion, there is a simple solution to this, just PM the auction link directly to members on here who are looking for that specific item. Majikani has started 2 separate WTB threads in the classified section that specifically states he's looking for an M40 scope. Had this thread not been started, I would have just PM'd him the link. This way our friends can benefit and you can feel good about helping someone out. Maybe then lurkers would also realize what's going on and then decide to become members of this community.

Of course even if we all followed exactly what I wrote above, there is no guarantee that one of our forum members will win the auction. USMC sniper items have exploded in value in the last few years and there are more people than ever who are trying to track down these items. Definitely not a perfect system, but if we stop posting this stuff publicly, it might tip the hand of fate in favor of a community member here.

I wish Majikani the best of luck in this auction, I know he's been looking for one of these scopes for a long time! And if he does win, hopefully he'll post pics of it that haven't been taken by Mr. Burrycam (like what's currently in the auction listing)!"

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/optic...matte-on-e-bay

We've had this discussion multiple times over the past few years, but I guess memory falls short at times. High profile auctions were good to post (after all, those auctions are advertised everywhere, have YouTube vids and thousands of eyes on), but no one posted stuff that was out of sight/out of mind. There have always been guys on this forum who've argued that all auction links should be posted in order to benefit the members of this site. However, roads paved with good intentions........

At this point, I'd like you to check how many people are currently on this site. I'm going to take a random ass guess right now, but I'd say that the guests outnumber the members by a factor of at least 10 to 1. There's a lot of talk about "community," but who does that actually entail? For this forum, I believe the community is made up of members who actually contribute to the knowledge base on this site in one way or another. As I type this, there are currently 6 community members logged on and 127 nonmembers viewing our discussions. Most of those nonmembers are here for 2 main reasons - to seek out information and to get tips on upcoming auctions. This site is a one stop shop for lurkers who have absolutely no interest in joining this community and contributing to it.

Posting auction links doesn't help level the playing field, it's just chumming the water to attract the sharks. I know for a fact that there are some heavy hitters watching this site right now and they are prepared to bid large on some very unique rifles at this auction. These are the kind of guys that make my collection look like the discount rack at your local Walmart. Not to mention that you guys probably won't ever see these guns again, these collectors are all about OPSEC and don't post anything online. For the members of this site, unless you're willing to part with a lot of money, you're not going to sneak any bids past these guys. I wish you guys the best of luck with the auction, I'm out, I'm already beat.

You might not agree with my actions, but I've always been vocal about posting links to auctions that aren't as well known. Even if I wasn't planning on bidding, I would have still reached out to Defender3. You can hate me for what I've done, but like I've previously said, I won't lose any sleep worrying about such nonsense. This community has dealt with far worse - frauds, fake snipers, shit slinging and lurkers. To go atomic over one request is absolutely ridiculous, it changes nothing, and you guys still need to reach a defined conclusion about auction links once and for all. I gave my opinion with a few possible solutions years ago and even reposted it here in this long rant. I'm leaving this community after this post, so you all need to figure it out, together, and make the rules known.
            Last edited by USMCSGT0331; 11-23-2018, 03:26 AM.

Comment

In addition, some of you may have noticed that I've removed all of my information from this forum. I have not done so out of spite, it is not an act of childishness. I've removed everything because I have personal plans for it and I don't feel comfortable having my information posted as I'm trying to figure out where everything will be released in the future. There has always been an end goal to my collecting and that time is drawing near. A few buddies and I have put our collections together and are trying to document (in excruciating detail) absolutely everything we can. The new M40 parts pictures are absolutely beautiful and I can't wait for people to see them!

The amount of work and information is staggering, but the results will be worth it! I've been reorganizing and rewriting everything that I've posted on this site over the past 3+ years in order to make one cohesive source of updated knowledge. I have no idea when this project will be completed or how the information will be released. I'm aware that pulling this information is an inconvenience for everyone, but most of you guys have spent years studying the pics/info I've posted and know this stuff like the back of your hand. There's plenty of guys here who can step up to the plate and start posting pics of what they have in their collections in order to get those threads rolling again.

It's now past 2am and it's taken me hours to write this response, so I'm signing off and heading to bed. I'm sure there will be plenty of interesting discussions in the morning. Again, my apologies to everyone caught up in this mess and my apologies to the rest of the community for having to deal with this.

Comment

• deltawiskey
                deltawiskey commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought you got mad and left here months ago, severing ties with us and refusing to respond to any PM's... apparently you have been lurking in the shadows trying to manipulate what gets posted on here.
                DW
                Last edited by deltawiskey; 11-23-2018, 07:42 AM.

• USMCSGT0331
                USMCSGT0331 commented
                Editing a comment
                Not lurking, but I get a heads up to check something out every so often. That's just to read something and give an opinion. I fully admitted to contacting Defender3 on this one and I've not done anything else involving this site since I left.

Ryan you missed two bullshit posts that you can take down with you.
              Your poor pitiful collector piece doesn't fly. It was manipulative and self serving. Which may be ok to justify in your head. but everyone else looks as it is... you just trying to control the acquirement of more items in whatever way you can. Second the "I just now had time to write this" is a crock of excrement as well. You had time to scrub the site a day ago. And you have witnessed everything since the start. Actions are like a fingerprint and yours were all over this. You act like a toddler in the way that I am taking my ball and going elsewhere. This soap opera was made worse by the moderator who is your friend assisting with this whole thing. Preferred treatment is how that comes across. I suppose this is what is be expected with this. No honor among thieves as the saying goes. And as far as chumming the sharks..... you are the fish that you describe. You just don't want any competition for your next meal. You can't say how people should react to backdoor, underhanded deals when you are the catalyst that started the whole thing. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
              Last edited by DeepC Infidel; 11-23-2018, 07:08 AM.

Comment

All this kibbitizing made me go back to the auction and actually look at what it includes.

The real sad thing about it is Im guessing some crusty old Gunny isnt coming down to breakfast and this is the result of his lifetime of collecting.......his family hoping to get some short money out of his toils.

I want to know about the guy that collected the stuff. Looks like he saved some nice 03s and Im assuming they have USMC provenance although Sedgely barrels ended up in lots of places.

Meh, somehow fate brings me what I am supposed to have.

When I want something I look and generally find it.

Anyone know of any Black Friday sales on HSGI gear? I need a battle belt.
                "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• Defender3
                  Defender3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Optics Planet has them for $97 with free shipping. Try coupon BFCYBER for another 11% off.

• pmclaine
                  pmclaine commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweet!

Now erase the comment before anyone else gets the same deal please......

But wait a minute so I don't forget the coupon code.

• Defender3
                  Defender3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Only 3 left at that price!

Yeah, there was nothing constructive about this post, it only fanned the flames. I'm taking it down.
                Last edited by USMCSGT0331; 11-23-2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• SDWhirlwind
                  SDWhirlwind commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, DeepC Infidel pretty much covered anything I would have said. Your self serving intent/greed not only is a kick in the onions to every member registered here with trying to limit access to auction info etc but probably you and your 'buddies' self serving GREED is also an attempt to line your pockets and short change the owner of such items by limiting information!!!!!! Perhaps some widow or the family could use a few extra grand that us p*sshead peasants caused you and your "buddies" to have to fork out. Your sorry excuse for deleting all your pics/posted information really is for spite and a tantrum for not getting everyone here to do as you 'demand' "politely". You know how you could help "educate" and/or help us out?, don't snarf up a dozen or more Redfields or dozens and dozens of 40X bases then stack them in your vaults!!!! "Politely ask" members here to do what is best for you and maybe you will take a pic of the bargain to post here until things go south and you and your "buddies" fondle it in your vaults while sipping expensive cognac and laughing over how the previous owner got short changed and the M40 idiots bowed to you??? Well, I am done, probably will post less yet after this as Mesca will probably axe me!!! Trust me, I don't like arguing etc and doing it via the net less so. Despite 12 times on an operating table, at least 2 strokes, scoliosis, severe RA and AS and having prosthetic mitral valve and pacer/defib I would much rather have said all this to your face(while fondling one of your many Redfields). Sure you will say I wouldn't but there is nothing you could do to me that life hasn't!!!!!!

Ok, I am done and sincerely apologize to all those who make this forum possible and also to all its members. Not my style but sometimes things really really get ones goat!!! Also I apologize for my spelling and any other mistakes, short term memory issues and how my melon processes things it sees or types is not always as intended.

Respectfully,
                  Dennis
              Working...
              X