Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This might be interesting to some...

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...ock-4ed47748c4

Very nice. Thanks Maj. Falls within a couple of SNs on a list of originals that I have. Not actually on the list, but right in there. Nice rifle.

Comment

It's an interesting auction. Cool serial number. What do we think about the thumb relief cut?

Comment

Thanks Maj

Comment

It appears the U.S. stamp was done with hand stamps since the spacing is off but other than that is not a bad clone. Interesting greenie color, the tube on the Greenie looks like it might have been replaced.

Comment

• Defender3
            Defender3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Just a thought, but the lighting could be causing the appearance of differing colors. The greenie on my M70 has the same two color look when photographed, but when observed, it looks like it's one color.
            Last edited by Defender3; 11-21-2018, 07:35 AM.

• Majikani
            Majikani commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree that the US does not look roll marked. While not bad there is something about the thumb relief that I am not sure about too. On the otherhand it's a cool stock, a nice stick overall and probably some history...

Hey thats awesome.

Has this been discussed anywhere else before?

Range report, favorite load, what color you will Krylon it after purchase please?

Anyone shooting this weekend?
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• MescaBug
            MescaBug commented
            Editing a comment
            I can help if your memory fails you....

• Defender3
            Defender3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Do tell Mesca!

• njohn890
            njohn890 commented
            Editing a comment
            Why am I thinking there is a photo of this rifle being presented in one of the Chandler books? I’m on vacation right now and can’t go through my volumes to confirm yes or no.......?

Regards Carlos' presentation rifles.....where is the presentation smear stock M70 with Redfield?

That would be the one to go for.
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• Majikani
            Majikani commented
            Editing a comment
            I imagine that rifle is probably buried deep in somebody's private collection, never to see the light of day. Unfortunately.

• pmclaine
            pmclaine commented
            Editing a comment
            Likely so. Would be nice if it saw the light of day for photos.

Man that 20 percent fee on those auctions is a hefty fee...

Comment

“Stock camouflaged at Quantico Marine Armory”

Riiiiiiiiiiiight

Comment

There are many outstanding items in the collection being offered by that Tallahassee auction house. As observed by pcm on the other thread, lots of very nice 03s and related, like a NOS M73b1 scope, or at least a very nice one with original box. It appears to me that there are 2 auctions running concurrently as the Real jewel in the entire auction is not listed with the auction for the " M40a1 like" rifle everyone got worked up about, but there is a real US marked M82 Barrett, one of the USMC Desert Storm rifles as documented in "Death from Afar" .......they are rarely offered at a reasonable starting bid price any more. I to would have liked to read about the collector whose estate is being liquidated....

Comment

• 1shot
                1shot commented
                Editing a comment
                There was a very nice M40A3 also in the auction.

Originally posted by SkwisgaarSkwigelf View Post
              It appears the U.S. stamp was done with hand stamps since the spacing is off but other than that is not a bad clone. Interesting greenie color, the tube on the Greenie looks like it might have been replaced.
              How are you getting detailed photos? The images go blurry for me when I view the magnified images. I can barely even see the U.S. stamp.
              You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Comment

Comment

That's an awesome looking scope.

Drives me shit house that on the fake Leupold's they installed the erector more aft and you can't ride the scope foreword so the housing snugs up to the front ring.

Causes this shooter to get his cheekrest a bit further back than would be preffered.

Comment

What's that "artifact" just left of the serial number between the receiver and recoil lug?

Any chance this was a Dewat presentation gun of an unserviceable receiver? Almost looks like it was welded at one time.

Comment

• pmclaine
                        pmclaine commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Was that in the description, if so I missed it.

Did I miss somewhere that PWS welded the recoil lugs? I know they welded mag boxes to receivers but I dont recall the lug to receiver weld.

If they had issues with welding some of the mag boxes I have to imagine the recoil lug welds would impart even more issues.

• Defender3
                        Defender3 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        FWIW - From reading this thread, the consensus is this is not a PWS build but a clone.

• SemperFi
                        SemperFi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The earliest ones were welded so they would not have to change the bedding for a rebarrel. That practice was soon abandoned, though. The downsides outweighed the benefit, I guess.
                    Working...
                    X