Douglas barrel and crown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas barrel and crown

Does anyone have a picture of a douglas barrel being used. Not trying to get into the crown variances on this thread but I would like to see a crown and the exact years they were used. This might be a tough one but I thought I would ask.

Not sure if Douglas were used, but the crowns were cut at Quantico any way.
    You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

My Model build sheet thread still contains some photos of a Model 70 Douglas barrel and two crowns, one being on a M70 Douglas....

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/armor...er-build-sheet
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

It's my understanding that Douglas, Hart, Atkinson, Schneider (the last to be used) were all used at one point or another. Considering building one with a Douglas blank...

Comment

It will be a shooter.

I haven't messed with it much but the Douglas on my 70 looks promising.

I want to put Douglas on my .308/.223 ARs when they need rebarreling.
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Douglas blanks have won more High power and long range matches than any other barrel believe it or not.

Comment

As posted before....There is/was "NO" spec on the crown. Not per year, Not per barrel manufacturer, It was up to whom ever is or was turning barrels that particular day.

Comment

• SemperFi
                SemperFi commented
                Editing a comment
                "The characteristics of the commercial parts procured for the new system were described by the Marine Corps (1976) as follows:...
                ...Muzzle Crown: Smooth, free of burrs, and recessed. [According to MTU specifications, "The muzzle end of the barrel is faced off and a recess .100 inch deep is cut to a diameter of .700 inch. The muzzle is also crowned on a lathe.]" -"The One-Round War", Peter Senich, p.264

While it is true there was variation seemingly allowed, I don't believe anyone can say there was NO spec on the crown (as in not ever), if but for this broad specification (which it is) during development, "...free floating tapered barrel with a muzzle diameter of .900 inch (nominal) and a recessed crown." -"Marine Corps Sniper Rifle And Associated Equipment, Project No. 44-69-03, Significant Event Report (30March1973)" as quoted in "The One-Round War", Peter Senich, p.247

Originally posted by DeepC Infidel View Post
              Douglas blanks have won more High power and long range matches than any other barrel believe it or not.
              I've heard other manufacturers make the same claim. Difficult, if not impossible to substantiate.
              You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Like stated in the opening, I am not trying to get into crown variances. That horse is dead.
                Douglas was valid though. However it will most likely be usurped soon by Krieger as that is what the AMU has sworn by for some time and they have steadily been breaking records since some of the most recent rule changes regarding optics. As far as my post, I am going in a different direction.

Comment

Where did you hear that Douglas barrels were ever used on M40A1s? According to Chandler as of 1993, MTU used Douglas barrels on some of the match rifles, but they had not heard of Douglas barrels being used on sniper rifles at that time. (Death From Afar, Vol.2)

Comment

Working...
                  X