Unertl base questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unertl base questions

Can someone here tell me with certainty what type of finish Unertl used on there bases.
    And does anyone have a source to get the correct 4 screws needed to secure it
    And one last queation,on the floorplate and trigger guard,was it also black oxided or parkerized.
    Thanks in advance.

I remember reading somewhere in this forum that Unertl scope bodies are Teflon coated. It is also my understanding that all other parts including the scope mounts were black oxide finish. Hope this helps.

Comment

I think the USO refinished scopes have the teflon finish and thats why there are sometimes problems getting the ARD to work with the USO refurbs/clones.

Unertl originals were probably oxide or some sort of blue.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

The original finish was black chrome. It's doubtful that even the refurbished scopes were ever finished in Teflon.
        You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

• SemperFi
          SemperFi commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm referring to scopes, not the bases.

USO slathered Teflon on every MST100, new or refurbished.

Unertl mounts originally came with with the same blackened plating as the scopes.

Comment

• SemperFi
          SemperFi commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. I never thought the finish on the refurbs had that Teflon look to them. Also, I wonder what the Marines did to make the Krylon adhere to the Teflon to any useful degree.

• Skunk
          Skunk commented
          Editing a comment
          Honestly, I'm not sure that black grey finish is Teflon. That's what people always said, and it just kinda stuck (no pun intended). It was not applied in-house at USO.

And actually, I think you were partially correct above. I don't think all refurbs got the finish in question. I think the earliest refurbs were just cannibalized Unertl parts which were not refinished. I think it is evident in the 1XXX serial 50cal scopes when they come up on CMP. You can see bare steel where "sniper" was milled out and "50cal" was stamped...

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
      X