• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40A1 pics

Here are some pictures of my M40A1. Some details:

Schneider barrel
    Return stock
    bottom metal serial numbered (not matching numbers)
    six digit action (clip slotted)
    USMC MST -100
    correct base and rings

-receiver U.S stamped.
    -7.62 NATO stamped on barrel but I am now led to believe that no USMC rifle ever had that stamp......when I do a barrel change I will have RTE -P stamped on new barrel for authenticity.
    -last four digits of serial number to be stamped on bolt when I get around to it, also for authenticity.

Comments and advice welcomed

Looks fantastic to me.

I wouldnt be in a hurry to change anything.

Range report and favorite loading now please.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Great looking rifle!
      Who did the build for you?
      DW

Comment

Here is a chronograph report for the batch of fans loads
        put together. Many thanks to those that helped out on
        my post regards M118LR....

LC Brass
        43.1 grains RL15
        175 HPBT SMK
        CCI 150 primers (wanted CCI No. 43 primers but could not get them here in Oz. Helpful fella from CCI advises that 150’s would be like for like or close
        OAL 2.81

Pretty happy with velocity (avg 2660fps) but will wait until I zero before settling on final load. It is 2650 give or take 50 that I am after. Am I correct in saying that for velocity for M118LR?.

I will keep data coming as I progress i.e zero etc. I now work as a FIFO miner so it’s gonna be a while between drinks.

Cheers

Comment

Very nice. The forest camo with majority dark green always look classic

What finish did you have put on?

Comment

Your stock is almost identical to my return. It has the same colors with the light green patches being unique.
            Probably from the same batch.

Comment

DW

The build was done by a gunsmiths called Custom 37 here in OZ. Check out their Facebook page if you get a chance. They do some pretty amazing things with steel and wood

Comment

Very nice build. Someone's been paying attention. I wish more builders in the States would do the same.
                You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Thanks SemperFi,

i will I’ll pass on your compliments the next time I talk to the builder.

Comment

Finally I have found the time to go and assess my grouping capacity before I zero the rifle. The scope has been serviced recently so I had to refit and re -level the setup. Add in my special level of OCD and it was not much fun....

Bore sighted, bold adjustments made and started to shoot some four round groups at 100yds. Have not fired more than a 100rds through any rifle since I left the military 10yrs ago so it was pretty ugly. Warmed to it though and ended up with a couple of 1 inch groups. Washed one shot out well above the two groups (see photo) so I cancelled it out. Group 1 -left three, group 2 -right four. Wash out due to breathing and I know I am not flinching so the lateral spread is likely trigger control (snatching). Something to work on...

Next time out I will shoot the ADF grouping standard (4 x 5rd groups @ 100yds, same aim point and with a combined spread of <150mm). Note that the standard is designed for a F88 rifle with a 1.5x optic with an aiming ring (no crosshair) but it will give me a baseline before I zero.

Back in the day I could shoot sub 100mm consistently, but now...….

I'll let you know how I go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2479.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	45739 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2465.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	45740 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2464.jpg
Views:	330