Smears to Forest Camo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smears to Forest Camo

Can someone please advise when the smears were replaced with the forest camouflage stocks. Cheers.

I don't think they were ever replaced. There were smears in service right up until the change over to the A4. Just the coloring evolved.

As to the evolution, that the smears were 70's-90's then semi smears and woodlands were not until late 80's into the 90's.

IMO there wasn't a woodland in use until the 90's (disclaimer ive been wrong before and this is just from dozens of pics Ive compiled)

The a picture of a graduating sniper class from '82 and couldn't see a single distinct woodland albeit is very grainy.

Could possibly be argues the woodlands are more rare that the smears...although not as awesome looking.

added 2 pics of woodland that maybe someone can date from the BDU's...the one showing just the rifle action/scope is dated 1996 in my files but I cant remember wher it came from.

GL
    DT

Comment

• pmclaine
      pmclaine commented
      Editing a comment
      As an aside......Saw a nice ERDL slant pocket cammie blouse on Ebay last week and figured Id bid $61 on the $60 asking price.

Two minutes or so before end of auction someone bid $62 than an Ebay "Sniper" jumped in with seconds to go and bid $63.

Those old school pre woodland ERDL tops are cool. Only "salts" wore them in the late 80s.

On the McMillan stocks, "woodland" and "forest" are color schemes, not patterns. The most common color scheme on the M40A1 stocks by far was forest from start to end, whether in "smear" or the later, blotchy camouflage pattern. Let's not start confusing things by calling the blotch pattern "woodland" by default.
    You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

The pigment was changed around 1977, meaning that was when the pattern evolved.
      You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Thanks for the responses to date. So I am heading down the right track with a blotched forest camouflage stock on a mid to late eighties replica build, right?.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
          Thanks for the responses to date. So I am heading down the right track with a blotched forest camouflage stock on a mid to late eighties replica build, right?.
          I suppose that any post-1977 replacement stocks would be the blotch pattern, but there were probably very few, if any of them. The next batch of receivers didn't come until 1992 (C prefixed), and they would have received the newer pattern stocks, as D-TROS said.

In a nutshell, there really were no new "builds" done in the 1980s, so a 1980s build would be on a six-digit receiver, and a smear pattern stock unless the stock was being replaced with a new stock. Maybe someone else can say for sure whether the Corps procured any new stocks from McMillan in the 1980s for replacements.

Comment

Thanks Semper Fi. Looks like I might be in the market for a smear. Any takers?

Comment

Thanks Mace. But I will be after a return smear. Won’t hold my breath though.....

Comment

Working...
            X