Broken scope mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken scope mount

Wow, my time at range ended quickly, after 10rnds, the scopemount fell apart !
    The shiny plunger is magnets....
    Holy, didn’t see this error comming !
    Any have a mount for sale ??

High probability of Shitty Welding or brazing ... Where’d you get the mount from?

Comment

Anyone know how they are made ??
      i understand welding, but inside ??

Comment

Who built and sold you the mount?

I am sure we would all like to know!!!

Comment

• APINorway
          APINorway commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought it on ebay, some years back. From privat sale, no name on manufactuer on mount. I have never seen how they are made, kinda plunger/hole, and weld on side. The welds was very small on mine. But, the broken plungers/studs, are magnetic !!??

Unfortunately, that looks like one of our bases, send me your information and I will replace it. The rings are not ours. They look like they are cast, ours are machined. Probably one of our bases with a Redfield rings welded on. Contact me VIA email I will get you squared away at no charge.

Comment

• APINorway
          APINorway commented
          Editing a comment
          Thx, super service. I did PM You. I will cover extra costs, no problem, just so glad to shoot my A1 again

• APINorway
          APINorway commented
          Editing a comment
          It seems I can’t find U’r email, and unforntently , post wil not ship to US , covid-19. But, I can ship to Norway, by my adress in Deleware. So I just need a new one. I pay.

Hard to believe. Held together with magnets and piddly spot welds. I'm not about to disassemble my original for analysis, but it makes sense that it's true the originals had the rings induction brazed to the base. Mine has no spot welds, and I'd bet money it isn't held together with just magnets! Good thing your original and expensive Unertl didn't get bumped off while shoulder high over concrete. Lesson learned- buy from a known source so you have some recourse. These scopes run in the thousands, so don't skimp on the mount. How did it get knocked off?
        Last edited by SemperFi; 06-22-2020, 02:04 AM.
        You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Just a theory but wouldn't or couldn't the induction welding process itself magnetize the parts? Also it is pretty awesome of TMA to sort you out like this so fast.

Comment

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            That seems possible, though I've heard there are ways around that. But, wouldn't the whole mount/rings be magnetized, not just the studs? Interesting.
            From what I see, there doesn't appear to be any brazing material on the surfaces. The rear stud was sheared below surface, so there was some force involved in the failure.
            It's scary to think someone is using TMA bases to manufacture defective mounts for sale. I hope whoever it is gets discovered and called out before someone's scope gets ruined. I remember USO had to change their assembly procedure when they discovered that the black oxide process was affecting their brazing, or something like that. In fact, IIRC that is why they went to Teflon coating. I thought it odd that they wouldn't just copy Unertl's process. It almost seemed as though Unertl wasn't divulging all of their secrets. OTOH, after a short time even the Unertl mounts were found to benefit from spot welding. It would be interesting to hear if any Unertl mounts broke in the field like this. Maybe they should have stuck with Redfield's dovetailed type rings welded to lugged bases. Or maybe the lugs made machining dovetails impractical. Just thinking out loud now.
            Last edited by SemperFi; 06-26-2020, 02:28 AM.

Back in buisness. Can’t ship anyting to US , so my gunsmith did some magic.

Comment

• Andy
            Andy commented
            Editing a comment
            that looks real nice API, did he refinish it also? Andy

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a Marine job to me! Good going.

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
        X