Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optics USO MST100 Vs Unertl Usmc M40A1

Hey Guys.

A query, is the USO MST100 better mechanically than the Unertl USMC?

Thanks

Alfredo338

No. Other than a few little differences, mainly the leaf springs vs. coil spring for the erector tube, they're pretty much identical. They're both 1970's technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunk View Post
      They're both 1970's technology.
      I keep hearing this, but what does it mean?

I'm a diver, and different manufacturers basically come up with gimics to call their own, but the basic principles and mechanics of regulators has remained unchanged for 80 years. Other than improvements in weather-proofing and CNC machining, have the mechanics of scopes really changed in any significant way since the 1970s? How are scopes today mechanically "better" than those of yesteryear? Don't they all work on the same principles of a pivoting erector tube moved by helical screws?

You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

One thing's for sure you won't find a stronger scope and apart from the romance of having an issued unertl I think the US Optics erector spring is a better more robust design over the original

Comment

Originally posted by SemperFi View Post

I keep hearing this, but what does it mean?

I'm a diver, and different manufacturers basically come up with gimics to call their own, but the basic principles and mechanics of regulators has remained unchanged for 80 years. Other than improvements in weather-proofing and CNC machining, have the mechanics of scopes really changed in any significant way since the 1970s? How are scopes today mechanically "better" than those of yesteryear? Don't they all work on the same principles of a pivoting erector tube moved by helical screws?
          I just mean they're very simple. But, you're right, the principles have not changed.

Scopes these days offer better performance from smaller, lighter, more durable packaging.... The Unertl is kinda like a 1970's vehicle with a carb and drum brakes. Does the same thing a modern vehicle does (transports from point A to B), but other than the cool factor, is there really any comparison?

Comment

Technology has made better levels of specification available to the consumer....

CNC machining, polishing glass.......prices have come down.

I think coil spring is more robust and surprisingly more the Unertl design. Surprised JU did not carry it over from his external adjust scopes. Much harm to leaf springs can be eliminated by running the elevation up when storing the scope.

I kind of thought the coil spring feature was also to give the erector more room for up adjustment on the 50 models.

One thing I find wonky is the ball bearing adjustment seat.

On my MST and a USO 1-8X I rock the adjustment knob fore and aft to ensure a positive BB seat.

Other scopes are dead nuts on the click.
            "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Specifically what were the modifications USO made to the Unertls which left the manholes on most of the Unertls being sold at CMP?
              jack1911

Comment

• SemperFi
                SemperFi commented
                Editing a comment
                The manhole cover houses the single, helical erector biasing spring. There are plenty of examples of 50 Cal. Unertls without the modification, so range of elevation doesn't seem to be a relevant factor for its incorporation.

This link is worth reading:

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/optic...-mod-on-unertl

My understanding is that US Optics won a contract to refurbish the Unertl 10X scopes in the year 2000. They added "new seals and other parts to make the scopes more durable under field conditions."
              I believe the coil springs were incorporated in that refurb process in the early 2000s, which is about the same time the M40A3s were introduced.

As for technology of the adjustments, I have seen several old USMC Sniper Unertls have some erratic adjustment issues when used at Quantico. I like them of course as they were revolutionary scopes, as the first scope with a Mil-Dot reticle, etc, but the technology is much better today regarding machining tolerances/ergonomics/adjustment abilities/seals/glass coatings/exterior finishes, and of course a myriad of 'gen II' mil-dot reticles. .

Indeed, I have invested with various military optics for my M1A projects, and there has been a lot of advances b/t the the 1970s and the 200Xs. To me the shear optical performance and usability difference between the old Unertl 10X and the current S&B 3-12X scope (aka 'M8541 daytime scope) is not trivial...and I do think the turrets work better (and are more precise) on the new scopes, but I am not a mechanical engineer that can explain the intricacies of internal scope design progress.

Comment

The S&B is no longer current. Nightforce ATACR is the current fielded optic.

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                X