M40A1 with smear finally found.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40A1 with smear finally found.

I have been into military clones for awhile now but only recently got into sniper rifles. I have always loved the M40s and always wanted a M40A3. Last October my friends finally convinced me to get one. By early December i had a complete, early M40A3, PWS built. A few days later I picked up a OG M40 for stupid good price and realized then that i am going to try and collect as many iterations as possible of USMC snipers from WW2 to current. So i Started looking for M40A1 parts to try and get one built. As many of you know trying to find a smear or even a forest return stock is border line impossible these days. No one wants to sell theirs and if they do they want a obscene amount of money for it. I was spending on average 4-5 hours a day scrolling through gunbroker, ebay, snipershide, M40rifle Etc researching and looking for any leads on a smear stock. One day i found a thread on snipershide from 4 years ago. It was a WTB for a smear stock and some guy commented that he had a complete rifle. The OP stated he didnt want a complete rifle. So i took a long shot and sent the guy a message and said i know its been years but are you still trying to sell that gun? Turns out he was. After a couple weeks of working out the details and getting the funds together i received my holy grail firearm. I'm posting this story in the hopes that someone else here will read this and not give up hope. If you really want something just put in the time and effort. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Nice! Congrats.

Comment

Congrats! For a few bucks, you can get the plug screws to fill in those wrong side holes on that action.

Comment

Thats a gorgeous stock, congratulations!!
        DW

Comment

I have some screw hole plugs somewhere in the many parts boxes I have haha

Comment

I found Brownells plug screws have a smaller, closer to flush, head than Remington's if you get stock to screw contact issues.
            "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Very sharp looking smear! Glad to see your search finally paid off!

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
              X