krylon war-art to display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• krylon war-art to display

Share your sniper paint-job, and concealment tricks. What are the colours and how is best to use them?

Yes with the current world events all I see is sand colored rifles for the most part.

I'm stressing over if I should paint my rifle when the MST 100s come in. It would add that bit of authenticity to it.

Being in the Northeast though I'm trying to decide do I paint to match my area or do I paint to add to the "clone" effect?

I'm leaning toward paint to match my local and it's been a good long time since I've seen pics of fleet rifles in temperate, deciduous forest zone colors.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Originally posted by pmclaine View Post
      Yes with the current world events all I see is sand colored rifles for the most part.

I'm stressing over if I should paint my rifle when the MST 100s come in. It would add that bit of authenticity to it.

Being in the Northeast though I'm trying to decide do I paint to match my area or do I paint to add to the "clone" effect?

I'm leaning toward paint to match my local and it's been a good long time since I've seen pics of fleet rifles in temperate, deciduous forest zone colors.
      We have red dirt here in Western Australia so my camo would be 2 colours at most 3. I envy those having 4 seasons and doing their winter hunting rifles snow camo for coyote shooting..

Comment

I use that colors to match the usual field I go for a sniper competition in czech republic. That picture has been taken on sandy part of a range but the main environment is really green and dead grass.

Comment

Im not a camo expert but Im looking at forest right now, North America, temperate, deciduos primarily, currently changing summer to fall, past peak color.

Most hard objects I see are vertical. An employed rifle in the horizontal would stick out amongst the verticals of vegetation. Seems to me to hide the shape of the rifle you need to break its long horizontal shape with darker verticals. Sure there are horizontal branches but for the most part my eye seems to view hard shapes as growing from the ground vertical toward the sky.

As far as the actual leafy vegetation I dont see actual leaves at a distance of fifteen to twenty feet, my eyes see dots of color. I think how WWII German Dot Pattern camo would be effective in pure vegetation. Pixillated, digital camo, does the same thing I suppose.

Colors are much brighter than I typically see people use in their camouflage. Rather than drab greens and black. I see alot of almost lemon yellows, lime green, brown and gray. Thats perhaps more a factor of season change though and summer foliage would be darker with less light penetrating the foliage.

After foliage drops the browns, tans become more prevalent and the horizontal shape of an employed rifle would be more visible unless the shape were broken up with dark colors in gray, brown, black to mask the rifle shape and blend it into its vertical background.

I guess its all a matter of nothing being perfect but I think the vertical pattern to break up the horizontal rifle shape is important.
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Not an M40 anything, but a pretty fair camo job for an old color blind f**ker

Comment

• DN308
              DN308 commented
              Editing a comment
              Really Nice job

Don't forget that your rifle is just on the ground. So It have to match the ground colour...

Comment

However, depending of the surroundings, The paint job should match The terrain

Comment

• DN308
                DN308 commented
                Editing a comment
                Here's a close in

• DN308
                DN308 commented
                Editing a comment
                This is a ghillie alone

• steveu
                steveu commented
                Editing a comment
                Very cool!!!

Thanks DN

Here it is in a couple more AO's. I tried staying semi generic so it isn't a perfect blend, but I am not nor will be a sniper. I do however have some burlap strips in different colors I can add to it if necessary. Basically I was bored...lol.

Comment

very creative urban camo nicely blend to concrete and asphalt but it makes the gun stand out at the forest floor

Comment

Originally posted by akoka View Post
                  very creative urban camo nicely blend to concrete and asphalt but it makes the gun stand out at the forest floor
                  You are correct. However, it is the same camo in all of the pictures. I was trying to get an idea of how well or poorly it would blend. The asphalt picture was not originally meant to be an AO pic, but it does break up pretty good with the asphalt and dirt in my driveway. The picture next to the tree is what I was shooting for as that is the predominant foliage on my property.

Like I said in my OP, you have to understand I am color blind so I am basically shooting from the hip so to speak. And, I was bored.

Comment

Concerning my greenish paint job, here you are some pictures of the process.
                    First, you want to have a basecoat (in my case, this is a FDE cerakote). After that, you need to spray some base colours that Will be a good start for the camo. At that moment, your stick looks like a toy... 😳

After that, I'm simply using some grass, some burlap and some table decorations stolen from a wedding table (It matches very well the summer grass).

Comment

• pmclaine
                      pmclaine commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes you captured the almost, un naturally bright, colors that look like they would stick out but actually blend in with nature. I always thought the pink in German DOT camo was kind of weird but there are a lot of reddish hues in the leaf line and the pink helps to capture that and merge the camouflage into its surrounding.

Love that Premier. Have to find me a nice one and have the money available at the same time.

Mine was kind of a spray and pray. I started with an already black gun and started adding random patterns with the spray cans. I had an old can of black that would not spray, it just kind of splattered.

Here is a close up of my M4 to get an idea. I have since redone this rifle in a better pattern, but this was the first run.

For the record that is a 1967 T-Series Highpower in the pic as well. I would never have thought about painting it, but someone (not me) had let it rust pretty badly and someone else (again not me) decided to SAND the rest of the finish off. I'll probably have it lightly bead blasted with a fine media and cerakoted at some point but for now the paint works.

Comment

Some nice camo work there guys.

Comment

Originally posted by 29aholic View Post
                        I had an old can of black that would not spray, it just kind of splattered.
                        How'd you get so lucky? That's the best kind.
                        You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                        X