Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MescaBug
    commented on 's reply
    Since it was made as a prototype for the Corps, and they decided not to go forward, I guess they destroyed it so no other 'prototype' stocks would be made, and maybe sold. That's just a guess.

• kft101
    commented on 's reply
    I guess. But I wonder why the original mold was destroyed in the first place. Did they modify it to make the current mold, or was it junked for some other reason?

• MescaBug
    commented on 's reply
    Not that hard, but hard enough that you wont make a dime on it... Demand would be so low, they wont bother.

• Game Warden
    replied
    I had inquired about this in 2008. It sucks.

Leave a comment:

• kft101
    replied
    Straight from McMillan's (electronic) mouth: "Unfortunately the original A4 mold we used for the Marine Corps was destroyed a long time ago."

Bummer on that. Wonder why the original mold was destroyed? And is it that hard or expensive to create a mold?

Leave a comment:

• ZG74
    replied
    Those hooks are cherry guys. Wish I had one. I really like the QD cups.

Leave a comment:

• MescaBug
    replied
    Originally posted by USMCSGT0331 View Post
    Very nice rifle! And while we're on the topic of early A3's.........

Early prototype in Camo . Great stuff.

You could hook a Mekong catfish with that buttstock, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Game Warden
    commented on 's reply
    Devcon is excellent and does last a long time. You will find that most of us here would rather use Marine-Tex to stay as close to the original build specifications as possible. 😉

Welcome aboard.

• COGunsmith1993
    replied
    Kft101 if you are still looking into bedding actions or the one on this thread I highly recommend using DEVCON as the bedding they have a few different options as far as the makeup of the materials, steel, and a titanium compound. they also have two forms that it comes in, a putty as well as a liquid. I have seen the best results form the putty versus the liquid. this will also give you one of the most durable and long lasting bedding jobs available. If you or anyone else on here has any questions feel free to ask.

Leave a comment:

• kft101
    commented on 's reply
    Sweet! Now that's an early stock!

I wonder why McMillan no longer offers the large butt-hook as a regular option? They obviously had the mold for it at one time. Did they destroy the mold when they switched to the current design?

• kft101
    commented on 's reply
    GW, the stock is as it came from McMillan. The only fiberglass that needed patching up were the areas exposed after inletting, such as the bolt handle and feed lip cuts.

• USMCSGT0331
    replied
    Last edited by USMCSGT0331; 11-22-2018, 01:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Game Warden
    commented on 's reply
    How does the color match on the OD green? The reason why ask is because the stock is normally molded in olive drab, when you shape it you expose it and now you're putting paint on the outside of it.

• 29aholic
    commented on 's reply
    Oh there is definitely wood involved.
    Hah Phil...beat you

• kft101
    replied
    Thanks for the input on bedding, guys. Will definitely contact Raven 6 when it's time to get it bedded.

Here are a couple more pics of it now with better lighting. A before and after, and one on wood (let the euphemism puns begin).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X