Collapse

Starting a M40A3 build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a Peli Case 1750 from a friend, this particular one was in Iraq with the Italian Detatchment roughly around 2005.
    Very sturdy, it feels like you could throw it out of a plane and it wouldn't care at all

Unfortunately the rest of the parts still take time, the scope is at my dealer, I haven't heard of the stock for two weeks now, should have been here weeks ago...

Comment

Great case!

Sorry to hear of your delays but it’ll be worth it once you get everything!

Comment

Alright, I recieved the scope last week, what a solid piece! (The one in front, the other one in the back is the Tac Vector Siegfried, which sits on my Airsoft M40, "pimped" with some decals)
        Also, the stock arrived in Germany last friday, should get here at the end of the week, so I can give everything to my gunsmith next week.

I'm soooo looking forward to spring, when I can start shooting the thing! (... ok, maybe I'll start early, like this year )
        That was in February with roughly -5°C (about 23°F) ^^

Comment

• J!m
          J!m commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I imagine that was a substantial investment but I think it's a good idea.

How far can you go? The picture looks like 200 Meters?

• Phil
          Phil commented
          Editing a comment
          That range is near Bayreuth, Germany.
          Before it became a privately owned open range it was a "Standortschießanlage", the shooting range for the local german Army regiment.
          We have 3 seperate lanes like this, each with 5 shooters max, each with a max range of 300m. Usually one is used at 300m, one at 100m (that's where the pic is from) and one at 50m or 25m respectively.
          You can shoot .50BMG there, one of very few ranges in Germany where you can.
          These barriers are actually 20cm of reinforced concrete with wood covers up front, also the "no blue sky" rule.
          Last edited by Phil; 11-29-2017, 04:17 PM.

• J!m
          J!m commented
          Editing a comment
          I was working for Sulzer, now Oerlikon, and they have a massive coating come lex in Germany. I can’t remember the town... but the rail cars rollback right into the building.

Sadly I never got tours of the ranges there. But I did ride on one of the worlds first elevators in one of the buildings. No door and it doesn’t stop. You have to jump in when the car is there. That was fun!

Recieved the stock on monday, brought everything to the gunsmith today.
        Very sturdy thing, this stock, tried some positions with it and it just fits me perfectly.

The rest of the rifle should be with the proofhouse for "Beschuss", so it's being pressure tested and examined.
        Will probably be back in one or two weeks, so it won't be done in time for christmas. Doesn't matter, we start shooting at the end of January again...

J!m, that elevator like that that doesn't stop is called "Paternoster" here. Sadly there are very few nowadays...

Comment

• J!m
          J!m commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome rifle there Phil! McMillian stocks are great.

And for all I know that elevator I used is no longer in use. Definitely a safety concern!

Now since the PGW EFR is incoming (just arrived in Hamburg ), does anyone know how far backwards from the front of the stock it should be mounted?
        I have the installation print by Badgerord from another thread (https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40a5...=9715#post9715 ), I just need to tell my gunsmith how much space from the front he'll need to leave.
        It looks like .75" but just to be sure, does anyone have a measurement?

(*insert Joke about typical german accuracy*)

Comment

My SWAG measurement shows almost exactly 25/50" (1/2") from front. Within 1/50 anyway.

DT

Comment

It's location is determined by the location of the flush cups in the forend. That is why the PGW has the rib cage shape to fit around the cup.

Comment

Aaah, ok. So basically machine the "rib" cutouts so that the flush cup fits inbetween the first and the middle one, got it!
              Thanks!

Comment

I recieved the EFR earlier this week, and immediately sent it to my gunsmith for installation.
                He was quite surprised I had an installation print, as it makes things much easier for him

I also got the latest info on when I'll get to pick up my rifle, it'll be finished in about 3 weeks, so right around IWA in Nuremberg (basically the german Shot Show).

Comment

THATS GREat Phil! I bet you are excited!

Comment

• Phil
                    Phil commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Absolutely Jim
                    Sooo looking forward to finally have it in my hands and to the first time shooting!

• Phil
                    Phil commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And I mean, it's basically the home stretch now, so also those few weeks will be over soon

So as you might remember, I recieved a real, stamped Weapons Record Book.
                  Now, since the project is coming to a finish I wonder what I'll have to add in the empty spaces.

The front page is clear, add Serial Number and build year. Cover with clear tape.

Now on page 3:
                  Block 2: Serial Nr again
                  Block 4: Build year again
                  Block 5/6: only fill when condemned, so no entry there
                  Block 7/8/9: ??? Cannon or Breech Ring, Carriage or Mount and Recoil Mech. makes no real sense on a rifle, much more on an artillery piece or so.
                  Block 10: empty, since new build
                  Block 11: add build date, which torque is used here? barrel torque, action screws, Scope mount screws? Scope serial nr is clear, Accuracy tested, what's used there? 5 shot group accuracy in MOA?

Lastly, page 51:
                  left side build date
                  right side, headspace is clear, the following lines ask for Name, Rank and MOS and the signature respectively, right?
                  and the last two stamps require date and signture for the respective dates for the two checks.
                  QA Check procedures are in the maintainance manual, however I can not find info on the QC Check. I'll just have my smith add the date and signature anyway...

I assume this is correct so far, please correct me if it is not.

Comment

• J!m
                    J!m commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Phil.

I believe the block 11 torque is for the action screw torque. Holding the action in the stock. It has been mentioned here and elsewhere that this torque can affect accuracy. I’d leave it blank until you can determine the “sweet spot” for your rifle, and record it then. That’s my plan anyway.

Surely there are people thinking the same thing I am.

Comment

That is?
                    That I'm thinking way too complicated?

Comment

• pmclaine
                      pmclaine commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Concerns about stamps being used by someone to try and present something as something other than as it is.

I dont have my book in front of me but your stamps might be a little different than my stamps.

I understand you are looking for the "as close to" as you can get.

Truth be told the USMC book doesnt have a whole lot of build info in it and what gets recorded in the stamps is minimal.

I find I have been writing more under the maintenance section on my own that really records the history of the rifle.

Dont sweat the stamps but do be thorough on your own shot/maintenance records.

• Phil
                      Phil commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ahh alright I understand, but no, that's not the Intent.
                      My smith will use his name/stamp in the "name" spaces, I will also mark the differences we made when building (mainly the other barrel) in the book. And I mean, a german gunsmith at PWS would be highly unlikely
                      Otherwise I'm trying to get as close as possible with the book.

Just off the phone with my gunsmith, rifle came back from the proofhouse with too little headspace, he fixed that and sent it back to the proofhouse, should come back on monday or tuesday, after that it's going over to bluing.
                    Hopefully I should have the rifle with me in two weeks or so... Kinda frustrating, but nothing I can do right now...

Comment

The waiting game is not a fun one.

I do do like the idea of the independent proof house as a sort of double check for the gunsmith. Probably not a lot of “bubba” gunsmiths in Germany with this system.

Comment

• pmclaine
                        pmclaine commented
                        Editing a comment
                        and Im sure the proof house becomes the govt record of who has what which is none of their business.

besides as the last month has shown the govt is least likely to get it right if your life is in the balance.

• Phil
                        Phil commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, the proofhouse in it self is a good concept IMO, every gun is checked for safety etc.

And pmclaine, here the govt already knows exactly who has what... I have to register every gun I buy with my city department for firearms and I can't buy a semi auto without even more paperwork. If you're interested I can explain it thoroughly...
                    Working...
                    X