Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwi M40A3... rifle build

Hi all,
    Thought I should say hi, rather than sit back and read everyone else’s posts…

Currently my M40 clone is just following the A3 theme, rather than a true clone… here is what my plan is, and when the parts arrive I will post some real pictures… and hopefully in a few months a range report…
    I am from Auckland, New Zealand (a Kiwi), so obtaining the necessary parts is somewhat more difficult than if I was in the US, as ITAR is a little hurdle that is sometimes hard to jump. Anyway the parts I have or have on order are:

Stock: McMillan A4 USMC Olive drab, Rem700 SA.
    (But with the clamp-bar cheek piece as it was in stock when I had the opportunity to get one, due in NZ early January)

Action: Stiller Tac30 308 action and recoil lug. My gunsmith is the agent, so this ended up on it… (got this)

Barrel: NZ Made true-flite, same profile as the M40 (1.2" x 3"long straight taper to 0.89"), Stainless steel, cerakote matt black, 25” long (24” from the recoil lug), with 1/12 RH 6 groove twist. (…Being made)

Rings: Badger Ordnance #306-75 Steel USMC rings, 34mm x1”. (Got these)

Trigger Guard: Badger Ordnance #306-82 M5 DBM. (On back order, just waiting…)

Trigger: Timney 510 (As I think I read here it was similar to the original. Ordered, just waiting for delivery).

Rail: I have a Badger Ordnance 20MOA rail, as well as the Stiller 20MOA… (If I was using a Remington action, I would try and get the USMC rail and mod the receiver as required...).

Night Vision Mount: None. Was considering the Badger Ordnance #306-59 embedded front rail, but probably leave this off… due to saving some $$$.

Scope: I have a Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x 50mm Mil-G2 in my spares box, so will use that for now…

So the above is in keeping with the M40A3 theme, but I want to fit a Surefire SOCOM brake # SFMB-762-M18x1, but a little undecided...
    Anyway, that’s the plan, and assuming my backordered DBM comes in, I just need the brake…

Attached is a picture of the stock from the McMillan website, and the brake I am considering.

Out of interest, here are some pictures of a Rem LA (300Win Mag) M40A3... built here in NZ...

Comment

Sounds like it’ll be a nice build!

Comment

Pictures of the action, not kosher I know, but will look the part from a distance :P

Comment

The stock arrived in NZ, along with a Badger DBM.
          Very pleased its stating to take shape.
          I know its not the correct cheek piece, but its better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by grunzter View Post
            I know its not the correct cheek piece, but its better than nothing.
            Dont sweat it . As long as you're happy with the build.

Looking good so far!

Comment

you do know you can still get the correct M40A3/5 stocks from McMillan you just need specify when ordering that you want the original version

Comment

• MescaBug
                MescaBug commented
                Editing a comment
                Right. I believe it comes with the single thumbscrew saddle cheek piece though. You have to order the single thumbscrew kit separately. Or maybe ask them when placing the initial order.

• J!m
                J!m commented
                Editing a comment
                Good info...

• brent65
                brent65 commented
                Editing a comment
                see the video I have posted below, from the mouth of the man himself, you CAN order the exact same stock sold to the USMC but you need to specify it when you place the order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpVJyJP6yvA

Comment

• SemperFi
                SemperFi commented
                Editing a comment
                Why does he still assume a clone will just be a wall hanger?! That's the same reason he gave over 25 years ago for not wanting to make me a true M40A1 spec stock. At least now they recognize the market for them. BTW, mine isn't on a wall or moping around for months on end in a safe! She'd be sunburned if she had skin. LOL!

Good digging! Cant believe this video wasnt posted here before. Dated Oct.5th 2016.

Just imagined how many call/emails/questions they received about the A4, they had to make a video on Youtube, lol.
              Last edited by MescaBug; 02-02-2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• kft101
                kft101 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm sure a lot of those calls/emails/questions to McMillan were self inflicted. Not too long ago, I would call in and order a "full spec M40A3 stock" and would be asked what barrel contour I wanted, etc. Plus even now, on their "A4 USMC M40A3" store page, one can select the action length and cheek piece option. Sorry, but if you're going to offer a "USMC M40A3" product page, keep it full spec, and leave the options to the regular A4 product page.

• J!m
                J!m commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree, kft101...

Thanks guys.
              Interesting video, did not know you could get it pre-cut for the PGW mount!

Part of the reason I grabbed the stock I got, was the fact it was available, i.e. in stock on their website.
              And therefore I saved the US$250 state department export fee as it came in with a bunch of other McMillan hunting stocks imported here, and not knowing how long a saddle bar would take...
              Ironically I see they keep fairly regular stock.

Comment

Yup, McMillan has the PGW profile and can inlet for it, and for free too if you custom order the stock and specify it. Be warned though, that on an A4 stock, they will move the front side flush cups down so it's basically at the bottom of the fore-end, instead of about centered. It's because the inlet for the PGW goes pretty far down, and it may be too close to or cut into where the flush cups would normally sit. At one time, they used to move the front flush cups back so they were in the textured grip area if an EFR inlet was requested.

Comment

I managed to get two AI 5 round and one 10 round magazine from Brownells, which will go nicely with the 5rd that came with the DBM.
                  Also a picture of the scope I will start with as its been sitting in my safe for over a year getting bored.

Badger M40 rings should be landing soon...

Comment

Another small addition from Brownells... not a clone part, but something I wanted...

Comment

• SemperFi
                      SemperFi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm curious what the advantage of this type rail is, compared to the Anschutz/Freeland style rails.

• MescaBug
                      MescaBug commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Picatinny? So any military MIL-STD-1913 Standard equipment fits on it.. Just a guess.

• SemperFi
                      SemperFi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm only vaguely familiar with Picatinny (forgive my ignorance), and can see the benefits in some applications. I'm wondering if these rails can be inletted into a stock so nothing protrudes that would interfere with shooting off a rest. I always thought the rail portion would have to be raised to get the cross bolts through.

The rail has to sit proud. It’s sort of a flat dovetail so the clamps have the opposite angle to them which is tightened by the cross bolt which also sits in a cross slot. If you mark it well, they are reported to hold zero when dismounted and remounted. It’s a pretty good system. I had a Badger rail on my 700P.

Comment

Here is a picture of the Badger rail on a Kimber...
                      I mostly shoot AR's so not using a dedicated Bipod for this rifle... Its still a Harris 6-9" with Pod-lock & an ADM quick release mount, hence the need for a small rail section.

Comment

Working...
                      X