ID:	42423Click image for larger version

Name:	C19A6513-4A7E-480A-9FDF-34D971A48BB9.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	930.1 KB
ID:	42422Click image for larger version

Name:	2FE2EC1A-62E9-4BDB-94FA-FF6B271D4087.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	42421 As an introduction to this passion, I put together a rifle that I plan on shooting weekly at our club’s private range. We shoot Mid Range matches (600yds) and Long Range matches (800-1000 yds) once a month. I’ve been shooting a 6br in MR and a 284Win in LR, both off from a Seb Neo front rest. I became a competitive shooter in our group and had fun doing it, but felt that I had missed something by progressing past the 308 and Harris bipod rifles. That is where it all started.

So I jumped in with a Remington 700 SPS Varmint, a McMillan A-4 stock, and I was on my way. I am not trying to make it an accurate clone, just a good shooter and practice rifle for me. I’ve done the preliminary load work and am ready for the first MR match this Saturday.

I do do plan on having a good and proper M40A1 built in the future and I’m starting to put together the parts I will need. Any help with that will be appreciated.

Richard

I just realized that some of you may not be familiar with the F Class targets, so I'll give the basics. X ring is 3", 10 ring is 6" and 9 ring is 12". The Electronic target system is Shot Marker, viewed on my iPad, and I took a screen shot of it.

Comment

What rings and base do you have and also what trigger are you running

Comment

Anthony,
        Keep in mind that this rifle is not meant to be a replica, so authenticity was not a consideration. I just want something similar to shoot with and see how good I can get with it. I reload Lake City brass and shoot Sierra 175 MAtch Kings with Reloader 15 powder, just like the M118LR.

The base is EGW 20 minute and the rings are Vortex Tactical. The trigger is a Jewel set at about 8 ozs. I am learning a lot about the importance of my body position and recoil management, which is exactly what I wanted.

Comment

Thats a great looking rifle.

Thank you for representing with a .308 Win.

Conventional wisdom is the cartridge is a short range cartridge only since the introduction of wonder calibers.

Impressed with your shot marker, almost makes me want to ditch my flip phone and get some technology.
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Regards shooting position.....

In the prone try to have the stock of the rifle grow from the center of your spine as much as is physically possible and get the rest of your body in contact with as much earth as you can, flat heels, chest and shoulders as low as possible, spine in line with center line of rifle as much as having a head getting in the way will allow. Get best NPA you can by closing your eyes and open them to be on target.

Address the rifle the same way everytime you get in position build your self a little ritual doing it.
            "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Thanks for the coaching with my shooting. Since I started shooting service rifles in Across the Course competition using a sling, I tend to get my body off to the side, and I don't get good consistency in my positions or the way the rifle recoils. I will try a more straight body position today along with some further load testing. I bedded the action also so looking for some improvement.

The Shot Marker is a good tool. I shot groups last year at 600 yard targets, then drive down to see my hits. Now I see them as I shoot. Very helpful in learning to read the wind.

Comment

Body off to the side is doing the work of what the recoil is trying to do on its own.

Get all your "mass" behind the line of force.

Have as much friction material in contact with the ground as possible to passively resist the force.

You should not be tensed up to receive or fight the recoil.

Anything up to and including 30-06 is light recoiling your mass when positioned properly will control the rifle unless you are Ethiopian or twelve yoa.

Best info I get in any class I take is reemphasis of position and having a trained eye critique and correct my errors.

Comment

Rckendall, I like you m40a3 ish build and I asked cause I'm doing the same thing except using a sps tactical , With stock barrel until I get my bartlein m24/m40 contour barrel installed .

Comment

I understand from the standpoint of a starting point. I chose the Varmint barrel to get the extra couple inches of barrel length. My shooting will normally be 600 yards plus (hopefully) and velocity is helpful.

What twist rate rate will you get? If I were building for authenticity, I would go with 12, but for shooting purposes, I think I would go with 11.

Comment

Right now as my rifle sits it's a 1-12 twist but my new barrel is a 1-10 . I know it's not authentic but I wanted it for various reasons. I usually shoot from 100-1000 yards when I can get a good spot in desert

Comment

Working...
                      X