2 screw saddle conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 screw saddle conversion.

Is anyone here the “Go to” to have the work done to convert a single screw saddle stock into a two screw saddle stock?

I recently purchased a two screw conversion kit and I am looking for someone to potentially do the work for me, provided they do quality work and are up for the job.

If it were mine... I'd send it to McMillan to do the work.
    DW

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wise Man.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Originally posted by deltawiskey View Post
        If it were mine... I'd send it to McMillan to do the work.
        DW
        Yup. They did the same for a stock of mine and I can't tell that it wasn't factory made that way.

Comment

Just makes me leery sending my stock to them since I have a 2112 assembled gun. I’d hate for it to get lost.

Comment

Why would you think your stock would get lost if you sent it in to McMillan?

I've sent numerous stocks back to McMillan for work over the years, and they have not only always done great work (they are the factory makers of these stocks, after all), none have gone "missing" from their location. McMillan is well known for their customer service and care, and with modern community forums and boards, everyone would definitely know if that changes. If you're worried about the shipping part, just insure it for whatever monetary + historic/sentimental value you deem.

Also, to be honest, unless it was a formerly issued stock or there's some other provenance to it (which if it has the single-knob saddle cheek piece hardware, doesn't sound like it), I wouldn't put too much historic or sentimental value on it over any other similarly spec'd A4 stock (other than the cost of the bedding job) just because it's from a rifle that a 2112 built.

Comment

My comment has no ill will towards McMillan. Far from it. I have an inherent mistrust of the shipping companies that we, as a society, use for these purposes. USPS, FedEx, UPS have all lost stuff for me. That's all.

Comment

• kft101
                kft101 commented
                Editing a comment
                No worries on my end. Just wanted to understand where your concern lay, so it can be addressed as intelligently as possible.

And yeah, totally get where you’re coming from about the misgivings with the current shipping options. From personal experience, USPS has been a massive manure show since the pandemic hit. Everything has been delayed a lot, with parcels being misrouted and mis-delivered. I’ve found that both UPS and FedEx are a whole lot better, with minimal delays at most.

• SemperFi
                SemperFi commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly my observations as well. It's laughable the USPS has been giving such shitty service, then they ask for more money. If they were efficient, but having difficulty keeping up, that would be one thing. But when parcels get routed all over hell and back for no reason, that's on them. Publicly viewable tracking must be a huge embarrassment to them. Nobody's fooled any more. Not to mention their rates have gotten out of hand.

Seems like McMillan will not do this conversion anymore. I have been emailing Lynne and she said no. I asked for a reason, and I am waiting on the reply. I’m bummed. Now I’ll have to go another route most likely.

Comment

• kft101
                kft101 commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s very surprising to hear. It would be interesting to hear the reasoning for this.

There’s always “stock doc” on the forums. He is well known to add the KMW loggerhead hardware to stocks with a fixed cheek, so he may be able to do this conversion work as well.

She ended telling me that the conversions took longer than anticipated and kept people from doing regular production work. So in order to meet the demands of the regular production, they have decided against it.

Comment

• kft101
                kft101 commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s unfortunate. I figure they’d be able to manage their (paid) workload better. Try reaching out to stock doc on the forums. He may be able to do this for you.

Is there anyway to buy the stock with the two screws?

Comment

Nate: check the McMillian web site or call them. I purchased one with 2 screws last year new direct from McMillian.

Comment

Can anyone tell me where to find Stock Doc? I tried to search the member list and I was unable to find him.

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                X