X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Island Auction M40A3

M40A3 Auction for you big money guys.
    Remington U.S. Marine Corps M40A3 Rifle | Rock Island Auction

I have been watching that, curious to see what it sells for!
    DW

Comment

Damn I thought my Unertl was the match to the serial. I was close. My Unertl has tape with the serial ending in 45 and that rifle ends in 64

Comment

Another from that lot of 10 receivers, or perhaps this one, sold several years back at another auction house in Florida, part of the stink caused when a forum member tried to have all references to that auction deleted here with hopes of winning.....

Comment

I thought all the M40A3's had the Premier Reticles/Schmidt & Bender scopes. If that's the case you would think for that kind of money everything would be correct. Does any one know if any M40A3 used the Unertl 10x

Comment

• kft101
            kft101 commented
            Editing a comment
            All the M40A3s when the transition from the M40A1s occurred sported the Unertl 10X carried over, many upgraded and refurbished by US Optics. The S&Bs were added later, and then the Premiers were added as a second SSDS as well.

It's a nice receiver, falling into the correct serial number series of the about 560 newly made receivers ordered to help build out the first 1000 M40a3s (about E67635579 lowest to E6764139 highest [560th]), with maybe all the rest of the initial 1000a3s were all older rebuilds ???, and of course we have seen photos of lower serial numbered E prefix serialized receivers on A3s and A5 guns, 6 digits and later G prefix serial numbered receivers on A5s. Don't quote me though, I wasn't there...But to me its just a receiver. Is a receiver, in the "correct range", never on a issued gun, worth $25,000?
          jack1911

Comment

I’m right there ya, yeah it’s cool and all with the letter but at the end of the day does the receiver really make it worth that much more?? Maybe, we shall see. I have a E6763xxx .308 receiver that’s just over a hundred away from the real ones, I gotta build that one up in a A3 or A5 100 percent correct with all the bells and whistles maybe that will make it more valuable too. Devil is in the details!

Comment

There is a good chance it will make the auction estimate. Couple of things:

It is not the one that was in the Florida Auction. I have seen it.
              This is one of 10 that came out of the M40A3 build.
              All the ones I have seen where built at PWS, with documentation.
              They were all built with early DD Ross hard ware.

Big money collectors will want this.

The one in the Florida auction had some computer glitches on the on line bidding. It was bought on the floor at a good price.

Comment

These rifles also have lineage to DD Ross and his development program for mounting systems.

SkwisgaarSkwigelf is correct, details make up the value. Providence adds to it.

Comment

Provenance. Provenance! Not Providence. That’s a city in Rhode Island.

Comment

See what happens when you are in a hurry and depend on spell check!

Comment

So the receiver is not an issued part and neither are any of the other parts although all of the parts were built into the rifle by PWS. am I reading the write up correctly?

Comment

You are right, the receiver was never issued by virtue of it being a part of the group of ten receivers DD Ross was allowed to purchase. If he never purchased those receivers, they would have been built into USMC M40A3's and placed in inventory. Being a collector, the receiver has value to me (maybe not others) in that it came out of that group of receivers that were slated to be built into M40A3's. Other interesting features of this rifle include: Early M40A3 stock (Flush cups are bright), receiver has the early side bolt release, early barrel has the lathe turning marks.

Comment

man if that A3 goes for anywhere close to RIAs prediction ill sell my PWS built early A3. I would be surprised if it went for more than 13k.

Comment

Sold for $20,000.00 You have to also add 15% buyers premium.

Comment

Working...
                            X