Building a M40A5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a M40A5

I actually had this post removed not knowing how much it would be missed. I've had several people asking me to put it back up. So we'll start with the action and a few pictures of the slot and base fitted to the action.

While waiting for the barrel to show up I went ahead and bedded the PGW NV rail to the stock. As shown I set a digital level accurate to 1/10th of a degree on the stock just in front of the recoil lug area and level the stock. Once the NV mount is bedded I make sure it is level with the stock. I use this as a base line later for the barreled action.

Comment

Also went ahead and fully bedded the bottom metal while waiting. On the M40A5 I bed the bottom metal and barreled action separately.

Comment

Barrel showed up and I went to work fitting and chambering. Flipped barrel around and turned profile and thread for Surefire break. Once that was finished I set barrel to run between centers and turned breach to 1.200. This allows for a smooth finish for barrel pad when bedding.

Comment

• DN308
          DN308 commented
          Editing a comment
          The brake please

• Raven 6
          Raven 6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Where were you having a problem, can wouldn't lock up correctly or having bullet strikes?

• DN308
          DN308 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well. Strange thing. No bullet strike nor lock up issue but:
          Without the brake, accuracy is good / excellent (depends on The shooter skills).
          With The brake on but without shims, accuracy is awful (even If indexation is good).
          I need to add more shim than necessary to index AND to have a good accuracy.

I wonder If there is a kind of voodoo or something to have The right consistency

Barreled action complete I went ahead and bedded it. Unfortunately while this thread was down I went ahead and bedded action. Here it is after removing barreled action from the stock. Still need to clean up, more to follow.

Comment

Parts for a M40A3 and M40A5 are out of Black Oxide soaking up some oil. Now we get to see how all the work comes together.

Comment

• Norwegian Gunner
            Norwegian Gunner commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi
            What kind of black oxcide do u use? How is black oxcide to use on stainless? Is this the correct finnish for the steel parts?
            Im building one in Norway now, and i have been trying to find out what the right speck is for the finnish.

• Raven 6
            Raven 6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Norwegian Gunner
            I actually use a vendor for the Black Oxide and I'm not sure which kind they use. Black Oxide is the correct finish for the barreled action on the M40A5. However the Black Oxide for the Stainless barrel is not the same as used on the action, recoil lug and bolt, it is a different chemical, the Oxide chemical used on the action will not take on stainless. Sorry I'm not much help on this.

Sent you a PM

Comment

Barrel, lug and action assembled getting ready for the M24 trigger.

Comment

M24 trigger installed. Re-oiled everything to let it soak in one more day before final assembly.

Comment

Sorry, but which kind of crown did you made on your barrel?

Comment

• Raven 6
                  Raven 6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The A5 crown is flat. The actual surface of the face is around .560-.575 minus the bore (.308) leaves very little room for a crown other than flat.

• DN308
                  DN308 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Many thanks

This confirm my infos. Thanks a lot

Comment

Figured it out with some help.
                  Last edited by Raven 6; 11-08-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

May I help you with pictures?

Comment

• Raven 6
                      Raven 6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good to go.
                      Last edited by Raven 6; 11-08-2015, 12:19 PM.

Parts are out of Black Oxide and thought I would go over the parts I stamp with the last 4 of the serial number. I do the bolt handle, bottom metal, recoil lug, bottom of scope base along with PWS-P and month/date on barrel. Stamping is kind of tricky because no one can agree on what should be stamped, I have friends that have carried these rifles, I have talked with guys at PWS and you get a different story from all. So the reason I pick these parts are for two reasons, 1 they are the key components when building the rifle, and 2 is because if you are doing more than one in Black Oxide you can see which pieces go with which rifle. I mean you can swap bolt shroud but you don't want to swap bolts since that bolt was used to head space the chamber. Make sense?

Comment

I like to put a touch of blue Loctite in each of the 8-40tpi scope base holes and install base. Only thing left now is to install bottom metal and barreled action in the stock and post a few finished pictures.

Comment

Working...
                      X