Commercial Smear Stock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Smear Stock

Hi all, I have what I believe to be a commercial smear stock and was wondering what the fair value would be? Obviously it won’t bring the exorbitant prices the returns seem to, but it seems quite nice anyway. It’s wrapped up in a early 700 varmint in 308.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

$800-$1250 is the range I have seen commercials lately. The commercials used a significantly lighter fill and you can feel the weight difference and they have a reddish fill.

That pattern looks very close to issued though and other than the buttpad really looks the part. You may want to double check the barrel channel and you could also do the magnet test as the issued stocks had metal bedded during molding for the swivels. Unless your 100% sure there is no way it was issued (or made the same way) but at the end of the day it does look great.

At the end of the day it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. The only way to be sure of the value would be to list it for auction and see where it lands!

Comment

Thanks, I’ll try the magnet test when I get home. The barrel channel is definitely larger then the varmint profile that’s in it, and I can’t remember the fill color. Best I can figure is that someone put this one together in the mid 80s as a replica. I can get some more pics if it would help.

Comment

Is it inletted for Remington BDL bottom metal or something other? Can't tell with above 2 pics. My guess though is Remington? Barrel channel looks to be fit for factory varmint contour?

Comment

Originally posted by SDWhirlwind View Post
          Is it inletted for Remington BDL bottom metal or something other? Can't tell with above 2 pics. My guess though is Remington? Barrel channel looks to be fit for factory varmint contour?
          Two piece bottom metal, Winchester I guess. Barrel channel is slightly larger than varmint, not sure if it’s m40/m24 contour or not. I’m pretty sure it commercial, it failed the magnet test and the fill looks grey instead of red. I’ll try and get some better pics/measurements tomorrow.

Comment

Definitely a commercial stock, has cutout for the old school peep sights, lightweight fill. Guess I’ll toss it on Ebay and see what it brings.

Comment

Working...
            X