Collapse

Value of M40 Clone build, return smear, Unertl 10x scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given that it's not a perfect clone, wrong screws, no certs, etc...

Figuring a 3k stock, a 3k scope, barrel, 6 digit receiver, machine work/assembly, etc., doing the addition I come up to around the 8500 mark.

I suppose you might be able to part it out for a little more at an auction site, maybe even get more than 8.5 at an auction site for the complete rifle in this market.

I just think parting out would be a mistake since it's pretty close to completion.

Maybe I am way off base here.

Thoughts, opinions?

With this market, you can't help but wonder what would happen if any of us put our stuff out on GB at a 10k price or some absurd number, just to see what happens

Comment

Sadly you are probably under valuing the stock in the current market by a long shot smears are ridiculous in price lately, but on the same token you are over valuing the scope they are the least desirable MST's IMHO and I again think you are fairly high on the barreled action. Anyone wanting one of these still has some big dollar hard to find items to locate to finish this build also will need the action clip slotted, correct trigger etc etc. Who knows you may get your 10K only way to find out is put it up for sale.

Comment

So it does appear to be a civ smear because of the white spacer. Still a very rare and desirable piece. The value on those these days are what some one is willing pay any where from 2500-5000 just depends on how bad someone wants it. the barreled action I would value it at about 1200-1800. As for the scope and rings probably around 2000-2500. You can get legit USMC unertls for 2500 these days through the CMP. You could probably get more parting it out. All together the rifle isn’t a perfect clone you would probably get anywhere from 5-7k just a estimate of course. This is all my opinion of course take it for what’s it worth.

Comment

I appreciate your knowledge and opinion. I am having a hard time with this one, especially in the market we are in. Of course we all want to get top dollar for our junk, but at some point I just need to stick a number on it and go.

I dont think there is a white spacer, at least not much of a thickness of one if there is, just finish rub and wear. All these details makes in difficult

Comment

put it on GB for 10G and see how you go, if you take the stock off if it is a issue stock it should have the last 4 numbers of the serial number of the rifle it was fitted to written in the barrel channel

Comment

I don't think there's a white spacer, I think it's been painted and the paint removed and the way the light is makes it look like a spacer.

Comment

PM sent about if you want to just sell the stock

Comment

Is the consensus that this is not a return stock?

Comment

ive done alot of research on this rifle. it is without a doubt a issued smear stock. the only problems with the gun is that it does not have a black oxide finish, it is not clip slotted, it does not have the correct base or rings (correct would be a unertl clipslot base and rings) and the action screws are incorrect (correct would be allen head). from all the looking ive done complete rifles that are 100% correct with a smear stock are going from 7500-9500 depending on the builder and scope. its hard to tell what the rifle in its current state will go for but i would estimate after watching this firearm on gunbroker for that last 2 months is that it would most likely sell between 5500-6500. there was another m40a1 on gunbroker that did not have a smear stock on it but a new production HTG forest camo stock and it went all the way up to 7500 but that rifle was built by PWS which is a HUGE bonus. This is just my opinion of course do with the information as you see fit. i was able to just pick up a 100% correct m40a1 with smear for 7500 so i am no longer in the market and not trying to just get you to lower the price.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryB View Post
                      Is the consensus that this is not a return stock?
                      hard to tell, return , commercial, ???

Comment

Originally posted by 40gang View Post
                        ive done alot of research on this rifle. it is without a doubt a issued smear stock. the only problems with the gun is that it does not have a black oxide finish, it is not clip slotted, it does not have the correct base or rings (correct would be a unertl clipslot base and rings) and the action screws are incorrect (correct would be allen head). from all the looking ive done complete rifles that are 100% correct with a smear stock are going from 7500-9500 depending on the builder and scope. its hard to tell what the rifle in its current state will go for but i would estimate after watching this firearm on gunbroker for that last 2 months is that it would most likely sell between 5500-6500. there was another m40a1 on gunbroker that did not have a smear stock on it but a new production HTG forest camo stock and it went all the way up to 7500 but that rifle was built by PWS which is a HUGE bonus. This is just my opinion of course do with the information as you see fit. i was able to just pick up a 100% correct m40a1 with smear for 7500 so i am no longer in the market and not trying to just get you to lower the price.
                        excellent appraisal..

Comment

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                        X