• Show
Clear All

• Interesting R700 @ CMP

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail....gton-Model-700
    What y’all think?

Gonna be expensive!!!!

Comment

Interesting a short action 30-06?

I wonder if the barrel is chambered .308 and mistakenly stamped 30-06?

You could use it as your 7.62X51 straight wall case maker.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

The green tag in the pictures states that it has a 30-06 barrel on a .308 receiver.
        DW

Comment

• pmclaine
          pmclaine commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I would take the tag at face value for sure but Id also check that chamber.

Did Remington even make a 30-06 with a Varmint barrel?

In the dark places of my memory I thought there were match rifle shooters that would use a short action with long action rounds for single load, slow fire, shooting. I wonder if this was one of those.

and as an aside just sent you a PM at SH

I have to wonder why a long action barrel was put on a SA action?

Comment

• MikeW
          MikeW commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe the SA is stiffer... I wonder if the auction winner will put a .308 tube on it or leave it as is.

• steveu
          steveu commented
          Editing a comment
          There have been short actions used for longer cartridges for target shooting. Most of the ones that I have seen had a block epoxied in the mag well to make them a single shot. Other 700's were sleeved to provide a large flat bedding surface to improve accuracy. I have a Time Precision SA (Remington Clone) single shot for my 6.5X284 as well as my Palma rifles in 7.62 (of which one will be for sale soon).

• Random Guy
          Random Guy commented
          Editing a comment
          The hand written note from 1992 reflects this was an Air Force rifle (via Lackland reference). It states "Nov 2, 1992. As per phone conversation with the Lackland gunsmith shop this weapon has been found to have the wrong barrel for this receiver". Folks may have already known that based on the 6.25M serial range, but just an fyi. (Lackland Air Force base is where the old Air Force Match M1 Garands and other AF match weapons were made).

Based on the configuration, my guess is the rifle may have been a "Monday morning mistake" by an Air Force armorer a few decades ago, that nobody bothered to fix, so now the CMP will dispose of it. The prices that CMP gets at these auctions is quite profound...
          Last edited by Random Guy; 12-15-2017, 08:24 PM.

That 700 is cool but my eye is on the desert tan unertl.

Comment

• Skunk
          Skunk commented
          Editing a comment
          The back half of that Unertl doesn't match the front half. Aside from the color difference, you can see in the photos, at the 1 o'clock position of the ocular tube section, there is a spot where the paint is very light and not covering the black tube. This spot used to be at the 6 o'clock position of another scope, on an A1 rifle. On an A1, the scope is so close to the scope mount that paint does not get in there very well. Another sign that it's been messed with is the showing of the rear scope ring gap in the paint. In the right side view picture of the scope, you can see where the ring gap was, at approximately 4 o'clock on this scope.

I think CMP is cannibalizing damaged scopes to piece together functional scopes so they can make a bunch of money at auction.

• SemperFi
          SemperFi commented
          Editing a comment
          Good eye. Hopefully, these scopes are being sold as CMP received them.

• echo25mar
          echo25mar commented
          Editing a comment
          I had to take another look, skunk is right.

That one is pretty clean

Comment

Don't recall ever seeing anything from Remington in 700 short action and long action calibers. However all 40-X/XB's are short and they chambered them in 25-06, 30-06, 7 mag, 300W and Weatherby mag, 30-338mag and 338 along with others. Think almost anything the buyer wanted?

Comment

To me it is just an action...

Comment

Wow, now we're talking:

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail....pe-REM-6257235
              jack1911

Comment

• pmclaine
                pmclaine commented
                Editing a comment
                WTF? No one at the CMP ever heard of an M24?

It looks like it has detachable bottom magazine of some sort. I understand that's kind of a rarity for those rifles, some of them having been modified outside of regulations.

Be interesting if Marty chimes in with any info on that gun.
                Last edited by pmclaine; 12-14-2017, 06:39 PM.

• SemperFi
                SemperFi commented
                Editing a comment
                "GUN"?! Dadgummit, Marine!

• pmclaine
                pmclaine commented
                Editing a comment
                You are right

Me

Barrel contour doesn’t look right for a m24,looks like a standard varmint barrel although the rifle does look similar.

Comment

• pmclaine
                pmclaine commented
                Editing a comment
                True.......

• Piteously Uninformed
                Editing a comment
                It looks in the photo log to have an S dated "7.62 NATO" barrel which may be original to the receiver; is an S date 1968 as I recall?? But hard to see if it's varmint profile... Is this an M40A2, rebuilt out in the later 1980's, with a Leupold 10 power?

The following is the NSN description for an M40A2:
                "NSN1005-01-262-1511: McMillan M40A2 7.62mm sniper rifle-bolt action rifle w/black fiber glass stock comes with Leupold sight ( a/k/a NSN 1005012621511 / NIIN 012621511)". Seems to fit? I don't know why CMP is calling it a "clone".

M24's are loooong action.

Comment

• pmclaine
                pmclaine commented
                Editing a comment
                Another good point.

Is that an HS Precision stock or a McMillan as noted above?

If M40A2 that would be a missing link of sorts.

Im guessing its something the Army was experimenting with as they moved along to the M24. Took an M40 they had in inventory and started messing with stocks and optics.

If USMC Im thinking it would have had a Unertl on it based on their experimenting process recycling scopes until the rifle is decided upon than changing the scope as inventory is depleted.

But if USMC why varmint contour not M40 and the serial doesn't fit.
                Last edited by pmclaine; 12-15-2017, 09:26 AM.

• USMCSGT0331
                USMCSGT0331 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's an HS Precision stock, not a McMillan

"If M40A2 that would be a missing link of sorts." Yup, I've never seen one, sort of our own Neanderthal branch in the evolutionary family of M40s..

The Model of the scope on the auction gun is showing in the NSN's as then existing in military stock (circa 1987):

[cut and paste below from the NSN list of sniper items]:

Sniper Rifle scopes:
              1005-01-544-6092 knights armament 3.5-10X sniper rifle scope assembly ui ea used on XM110 sniper rifle
              1240-01-505-5107 army issue sighting system M107 rifle issued replacement scope for 50 cal rifle
              1240-01-470-6548 leupold sight telescopic MARK 4 M3 10x scope is 13 1/2 inches long with mil dot reticle
              1240-01-552-3720 leupold scope MARK 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M3 rifle scope scope is for long range with illuminated mil reticle
              1240-01-474-0196 leupold scope MARK 4 M1-10 x 40 long range rifle scope with mil dot reticle butler creek flip up lens covers and sunshades
              1240-01-444-3556 leupold scope MARK 4 M1-10 x 40mm long range tactical scope with duplex reticle
              6650-01-428-6799 leupold scope MARK 4 M1-10x scope with target dot reticle
              1240-01-471-4969 leupold scope MARK 4 M1 16 x 40 mm scope with duplex reticle
              5855-01-509-6872 leupold scope VARI x III 3.5 x 10 scope with mil dot reticle
              1240-01-453-6460 swarovski scope 10x used with barrett M82 50 cal
              1240-01-415-3867 barrett firearms 50 cal scope used with barrett M82A1 50 cal
              1240-01-470-2307 premier reticles leupold VARI x III 1.5x20mm matte scope is 10.59 inches long
              1240-01-494-0830 premier reticles sight 16X model 45580M116T with butler creek flip up lens cover 1 and 2 1/2 in long sunshade
              1240-01-533-1854 premier reticles schmidt & bender scope 3-12X1.97 inch scope
              6650-01-493-6638 premier reticles scope model 9029410 scope with 10x mil dot installed includes butler creek lens covers
              1240-01-379-5837 unertl scope model MST150 scope used on barrett 50cal sniper rifles
              1240-01-123-4730 unertl scope model MST100 scope used on M40A3 rifle
              1240-01-504-3278 MK12 MOD 0 system rifle variable scope navy issue used with MK12/special purpose sniper rifle
              5855-01-506-5920 lightforce scope model NXS22MD navy special forces rifle scope scope used with MK12/special purpose M16
              jack1911

Comment

Not an M40A2 or missing link, it's an AMU built target rifle. Over a decade ago, the Army got some 6257xxx M40's and turned them into short action M24 target rifles. Unfortunately they shit canned the original wood stocks and satin black Redfield scopes. Marty posted pics of one of these rifles a while back. Notice the red tape around the trigger guard, this signifies that the trigger pull weight has been tested and confirmed, pretty common wih match rifles/pistols.

With all the target rifles that have come out on the CMP auction this year, it wouldn't surprise me if the AMU sent a ton of obsolete/unused stuff to the CMP. Maybe a few more of these rifles sitting in the back room waiting to be sold?

Also, the only M40A2 I'm aware of had a B prefix serial number...........

Comment

• pmclaine
                  pmclaine commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Someone at SH stated same AMU gun built for All Army matches.

So, now we have two rifles being discussed in one thread. This could get confusing.
                You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Working...
                X