Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sneaky glitter?

Not sure where to put this..........

I bought a few old, worn drag bags last year, obviously military 'surplus' items. Two of the most used ones had glitter on them and in the pockets. Glitter? WTH!! Do snipers drag their sticks to birthday parties or something?!

Then I thought about how there are detection devices that rely on reflection to spot snipers. Using such a device, I thought, maybe instructors 'salted' the drag bags with glitter to more easily find students exposed during the stalk phase. It doesn't seem like a Marine Corps approved trick, but I wouldn't put it past Army shenanigans.

Just a thought. Any other ideas why glitter would be found on drag bags, and not just in one isolated instance? Seems weird, and counter productive to proper camouflage.
    You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

We are in a post - Don't ask, Don't tell - world now, perhaps - Drag Bag - has new connotations.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

If you got both bags from the same seller, are you sure he didn't just spill glitter on them? If they came from different places and have the same glitter, that would be odd.

The devices you're talking about work on what is called retro-reflection. A scope, or any optic, due to the curvature of the lenses, will always have a lens surface that is perpendicular to the retro-reflection device. When the laser that is integrated to the device bounces back from the lens surface, it is visible. I guess it's possible, but glitter being flat would severely limit the chances of such a device working for the observer.

Comment

• SemperFi
        SemperFi commented
        Editing a comment
        Difference sellers in different states. One bag was OD, the other Woodland.

With hundreds of pieces of glitter, I would think it likely to get at least some to reflect back to a device at any given time. After all, that's how glitter works.
        Last edited by SemperFi; 02-13-2016, 07:37 PM.

We all like to feel pretty once in a while. What's wrong with a little glitter while stalking? Fashion is fashion. If I were going to set up a false firing position for somebody to see my scope glint, I would use a Ziplok bag, plastic wrap or a document protector. These all can be shaped to give off a maximum reflection. Plus all of those items are multi-functional.

Besides, it's things that don't blend into the baseline that raise attention. No real professional would have a glint give away their position when you have tape, screen, panty hose, neck veils, ghillie veils and ARDs. Not saying I'm right, just my two cents.

Comment

Maybe the previous owners used the bags to bring their toys to some weird parties....

That being said, maybe Skunk is onto something. It make sense.

Comment

I guess you could get the body of a small stripper in one.

Comment

Even without such a detection device, I would imagine NODs would LOVE glitter.
            You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

• ZG74
              ZG74 commented
              Editing a comment
              Depends on if they had an IR flood or not. If they didn't, even a gen 3 device might not pick it up without a IR flood.

• Skunk
              Skunk commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed....

• SemperFi
              SemperFi commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure things have improved since I was in. Starlight looked like a screen full of green, sparkly glitter. LOL! Yes, I was thinking with an active light source being used in this case, but spot, not flood.
          Working...
          X