NSN marked Steiner 8x30R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSN marked Steiner 8x30R

I have a set of Steiner 8x30R that my wife bought me. Its as close to getting her to buy me gun stuff as it gets. Great binos, they are supposed to be for work but really only get use when we go to the beach and I check out the water and land whales.

Anyway on the Hide the other day I picked up a second set because the price was too good to be true. I tried talking my co-workers into buying them but they have Tasco tastes. So now I have dedicated work binoculars and dedicated house/vacation binoculars.

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/...nos-price-drop

Im pretty confident the seller is legit. He runs a shooting website in Ireland and has contacts/shoots here in the US.

I never saw these Steiners marked with an NSN but the number checks out to binos. Never saw Steiners sold with a multi cam, Molle case either.

This issue configuration look familiar to anyone? If they were Irish MOD gear I wouldn't expect a US NSN on them.

Thanks for your time.
    "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

The NSN country code is 12 on these binoculars which is "Germany or West Germany" . NSN means National Stock number, as most are aware. All NATO countries participate with a common stock number system. First 4 digits of a NSN are the group and class, next two digits are the country code, last 7 digits are the unique item number or "NIIN". Some asked in the past when the change was from FSN to NSN, it was 1972. I was in the fleet then, a SK.

Comment

Thank you. Certainly Germany is where they are made, does the 12 mean it would have been German military issue?

They are half the price my wife paid for a set with a cardboard box, instructions and no case. They are on the way to me. Good quick view binoculars. More tactical than crisp for wildlife but good size, good clarity.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Last edited by USMCSGT0331; 11-21-2018, 10:51 PM.

Comment

They do have a reticle and I suppose in a pinch you could range with it but I wouldn't expect to be rifle range accurate. I think the intended use is arty.

Only Steiners I saw in the Fleet were the 7x50s and they are kind of huge. Never noticed the blue tint but the full mil spec glass is laser protected, that might be part of that issue. My old set and coming set are both mil spec. These apparently were surplus from an Irish Recce unit according to seller.

I pack a set of Steiner 8x30R's in what was a NOS WWII USMC leather M17 case. They are good for fast viewing but because they lack a center focus when you want to key on one particular detail they won't be as crisp as you want them to be unless you screw with the diopters. The intended work use is to read UN numbers from a safe distance on truck cargo if it happens to be spilled all over the place. Reality, I look at hawks and shit or the occasional cool airplane. I prefer that actually.

When I'm sitting on a beach though I can scan from 10 feet to horizon without having to dick around focusing all over the place. We do a yearly Cape Cod trip and stay in Chatham, usually swim in Wellfleet on the ocean side. The Great White shark population down there is becoming no joke. It's like a seal buffet for them. One guy has been nibbled so far but the day is approaching when one of those big guy does some damage. I might just end up having a Chief Brodie moment on one of those trips while scanning with my binos. Last time I was out there I was watching the horizon without glass and I swore I saw the splash of artillery. When I glassed up I realized it was a pod of feeding humpbacks spouting. Great show! Makes me think about taking my M49 if I could get the tripod to sit on something. The Kowa is too bulky to consider dragging down the cliffs of Wellfleet.

Comment

Yeah that type of diving doesn't sound fun once the imagination starts to roll. I bet the catch is tasty though.

Im getting a kick out of how they are attributing the growth of the Great White population to global warming. Like protecting them from fishing and protecting their primary food source from nuisance kills doesn't equate to a bigger population!

I read some news last week that beaches in South Africa are having Great Whites wash up bitten in half with their livers ripped out. Apparently Killer Whales are developing an appetite for Great White liver with fava beans.

Nature straightens its shit out if given a chance.

Stay safe in the water.

Comment

Working...
          X