Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received mine after about 2 weeks. lenses are ok, broke spring in main elevation, it’s being repaired now. Just got to find someone to replace the reticle.

Comment

• SemperFi
      SemperFi commented
      Editing a comment
      What was wrong with the reticle?
      What spring was broken- the detent ball spring, or the erector bias spring?

• kft101
      kft101 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure US Optics could replace the reticle for you. They did do the original scope refits and then made the MST-100s. I'm also sure they'll charge a bit of money for it.

• TimP8541
      TimP8541 commented
      Editing a comment
      Who did you get to do your repairs?

The detent ball spring. Reticle is broken, it’s the original wire design, not the USO mod. I’d like to keep it as original as possible, but may end up having to go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff3 View Post
      Can someone tell me how hard the conversion from 50 cal to 308 cal is ? Is US Optics the only place that works on these types of scopes thank you geoff3
      I just purchased a USMC Unertl 10X sniper scope from the CMP auction in December 2017. It needed some minor repairs, so I've done the legwork and called all the various places that might work on it.

US Optics will NOT work on these scopes anymore, and they carry no parts for it. They no longer produce the MST-100 either, but they were very helpful in explaining the history of the scope and their involvement with the USMC in later modifications.

There is a guy by the name of Aaron Davis (I think in Ohio?) who used to be a Unertl employee and now does scope repair. I'm told he's the best in the business for the USMC scope. Unfortunately, he's offline for the rest of the year due to medical stuff and trying to move. He said to give him a shout in late 2018 and he might be up and running again. In the meantime, I've talked to Parsons Scope Service and Optical Services Co. Parsons was very helpful, but admitted he didn't have the personal experience with the scope or any parts. He highly recommended Aaron Davis. Also spoke with Cheryl at Optical Services. She said they don't normally do repairs like this, but seeing as how I was in a bind, she'd take a look and see if she could help. I'll know next week whether she'll be able to do anything with it.

On another note, I called Ironsite, Inc in Tulsa based on a recommendation from CMP. The kid who answered the phone seemed nice enough, but then he handed me off to one of the techs. Didn't catch his name, but he was one of the rudest and most disrespectful people I've ever dealt with. He basically didn't want to answer any of my questions until I sent the scope to him. He ended up actually yelling at me until I hung up on him. I tried a couple times afterward to get the owner on the phone, but it's that same tech who keeps answering the phone. Anyway, I hope that guy isn't indicative of the rest of the company. Needless to say, my experience with Ironsite was less than stellar. I heard they do good work, so maybe you guys might catch the guy on a better day.

As for converting from .50BMG to .308, you'd have to find someone who has the parts available. The .50 cal scopes were themselves converted from .308. I don't know if they had to modify the entire erector mechanism, or if it was just a different ballistic cam. Either way, it involves different parts that most scope repair folks just don't have. Aaron Davis would be the first place I'd look for that kind of work. If you need his number, I think someone posted it earlier in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TimP8541 View Post
        The .50 cal scopes were themselves converted from .308. I don't know if they had to modify the entire erector mechanism, or if it was just a different ballistic cam.
        Only the 1000 series MST100s were .50 Cal conversions from original .30 cal. The 5000 series scopes were designed as .50 caliber from the beginning.

The three parts needed for the conversion were the elevation threaded rod, main elevation knob, and differential bushing ("first screw member"). All three of those parts are different between the .30 cal and .50 cal. The stop pin, set screw, and detent parts could most likely be swapped between the two.

Here's a short discussion for your reading pleasure. Hopefully you are able to get past the Photobucket blocks.
        https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/optic...100-conversion
        You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

• TimP8541
          TimP8541 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, wow! I learn something new every day! I see what you're saying about the difference between the initial run of .50cal scopes and the purpose-built ones that came later. That makes sense. I was never aware that the MST designation was actually used by Unertl and the Marine Corps in the official nomenclature. That's really interesting! I recently had a conversation with Ed Land, whose father is sniper legend Jim Land. Between that conversation and this forum, I've learned more details about our sniper equipment in the past month than I ever did when I was an active Scout Sniper. Thank you!

• SemperFi
          SemperFi commented
          Editing a comment
          This forum is made up of all kinds from all walks. No one was everywhere at all duty stations for all 20 years the M40A1 was in service (at least no one here has made that claim). Some of us have just been studying the history of the M40A1 (or others of the series) for a long time. That's what makes this forum unique. It gives us all a venue to get together and hash out details, and find out what others know or experienced to help fill in the blanks.

From this discussion, I learned that the original scopes on the Barretts were .30/.50 cal. conversions. However, the last Unertl 10X was supposedly number1910. I see some .30/.50 cal. converted scopes that were probably within the last procurement (1851, 1898), whereas the others had earlier serial numbers (1295, 1337, 1395). So, now I wonder if the conversions were also done later to fill in for production lags, or maybe after John Unertl had passed away in 1998. What would really help would be a complete list of serial numbers and contract dates. I'm sure that information must be out there somewhere.

By the way, the .30 cal. Unertl NSN1240-01-123-4730 was listed as "Sight, Telescopic, Unertl 10X" in 1994. I don't know when or why the NSN nomenclature was changed to "MST100", but I can say that Unertl called their scope an MST100 as of 1987. Here's the thread I was looking for that provided that proof. Unfortunately, photobucket dumped on us, and my saved photos are not being recognized by this newer laptop, so I don't know if you'll be able to see the photos.
          https://www.m40rifle.com/index.php?r...d-shipping-box
          Last edited by SemperFi; 02-19-2018, 06:31 PM.

• SemperFi
          SemperFi commented
          Editing a comment
          "The first class at the Advanced Sniper Course at Quantico in 92 helped verify the ballistic cam for that upgrade."

This would make a very interesting thread of its own. This may be the M40 forum, but the Unertl makes the link to the Barrett. I'd love to hear this bit of history.

CMP has set up the next 4 Unertl 10x auctions, one appears unissued or little used since USO rebuild, a second scope has rings with Simrad mount and ARD. It will be interesting to track selling prices of these, given recent selling price declines for scopes with issues.

Comment

You guys keep saying that prices have dropped.... I think the prices merely reflected the condition as the last one went for the usual price.

Comment

Are you seeing them on the cmp site? I don’t see any new postings.

Comment

• macethetemplar
              macethetemplar commented
              Editing a comment
              In the search you have to select listing number, then just go farther ahead than is listed. This allows you to see things that are not listed. I only found 3 but the first listing number is 4335

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/search.asp

• John Nors
              John Nors commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. Let the bidding begin.

• SemperFi
              SemperFi commented
              Editing a comment
              Hopefully they'll add detailed photos soon.
          Working...
          X