MST100 below $3K

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reese3303 View Post
    The heigh of sidewall space where vernier markings and yardage marking are is taller.
    How deep is the adjusting screw in the top of the elevation turret (from the top of the screw to the top of the turret)? If you have calipers you can measure the depth. Otherwise, use something like a toothpick, mark it precisely, and measure to the nearest 1/16" or 1/32". (I'm going somewhere with this)
    Last edited by SemperFi; 11-14-2018, 01:42 AM.
    You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

• SemperFi
      SemperFi commented
      Editing a comment
      Typical depth is around .030-.050"
      The elevation screw is 18 tpi, so .0556" per turn.
      Yours is .115"
      Subtract .0556" and you would be at .0594". In other words, it seems yours has plenty of room to be screwed down one more turn.

Skunk already mentioned how to do it. If you do it, be REALLY careful you don't let the knob come off or raise while the adjusting screw is backed out, and keep the knob from turning, too. Do this while the knob is set to the 100 yards mark. You'll just want to back the screw out while pushing the knob down until the knob stops going down. Then re-turn the screw in and try to catch the first thread.
      It may also be possible that the differential bushing needs to be seated an extra turn instead. That would be a much more involved project, and may or may not be the case at any rate.

If you do catch the thread one turn lower, you will need to verify you still have full travel from 100 to 1000. Then set you adjusting screw to a depth of .0594", and you'll be back to where it's set now. Of course, once mounted and sighted in, that will likely change substantially. We're assuming your adjusting screw is standard length, so you may want to mount it and sight it in before deciding if there's still room to seat the elevation knob down another turn.

You might find this helpful......
      https://drive.google.com/viewerng/vi.../US4247161.pdf

A couple parts were changed a bit in the final design, but the overall design is the same as the patent prints.
      Last edited by SemperFi; 11-14-2018, 12:56 PM.

• pmclaine
      pmclaine commented
      Editing a comment
      Patent dated on my 13th birthday....sweet.

• SemperFi
      SemperFi commented
      Editing a comment
      But, isn't 13 an unlucky number?

I've had 3 of these scopes and all three of them had different reticles. Fat with points, skinny with points and Fat without points. Think the original unmodified reticles were fat without points...
    Last edited by Capthook73; 11-14-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

My preference is the square ends....
          "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• SemperFi
            SemperFi commented
            Editing a comment
            ....Ditto....

Great information! Thank You Very Much for all the posts!!
          DW

Comment

Mine is 3516 with skinny points.

Comment

• pmclaine
              pmclaine commented
              Editing a comment
              They built batches of parts sorting them into egg crate looking little bins.

Id be surprised if they were built in any serial number order in fact with the last batch made you could choose a custom 5 digit number so there was often no serial number order.

• SemperFi
              SemperFi commented
              Editing a comment
              Even in previous batches one could order a custom four digit serial number, or letters that would fit, as long as the serial number was not an issued Unertl number, IIRC.

• pmclaine
              pmclaine commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep last batch had to be 5 digits so I used the G from the series of my receiver with last 4 of the SN for the receiver it is paired with.

Took the A1 out today. Sighted in with new scope day before thanksgiving at 200 yards on 2. Shot out to 300 meters with no problem that day. Parallax is set for 300 meters.

Today I shot at both 100 yards and 330 yards (300m).The range has steel set at 300 meters. For that distance I turn BDC to 3 (5 moa) and go up 1/2 minute for my 175 load with MV of 2700 fps. Rifle shot well as usual hitting a 3” plate at 300m consistently. Here’s a couple pictures.

Comment

Comment

• SemperFi
                SemperFi commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks good. Damned good if your parallax was set for 300 yards!

It was I don’t change it once set. If you don’t move to much it aint bad.

Comment

Working...
              X