Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advertisement

Collapse

Taking Leupold repro M40 scope the distance......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Leupold repro M40 scope the distance......

I'm running two of these right now and have a third in reserve.

Cheapest scope type I own but it gets the most use.

I love it for the simple fact I have it zeroed at 100 than just hold mil dots.

If I want to try and gauge precision at say 300 yards I will use se a target with an aim point the appropriate mil hold measured above expected point of impact and I get good success making groups on intended point of impact.

Reality though these scopes are better at greater than MOA targets like steel.

Thinking of taking my .308 rifle to a 900 meter range next week.

With my 100 yard zero I calculate I get about 650 yards or so of mil dots in the reticle.

Id like to go after Targets further out.

Anyone taken these things to distance?

I don't really want to change my 100 yard zero.

​​​​​​​Any tips for me?

"...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

What ammo do you plan to shoot? In the past for shooting at distance I put a 600 yard zero on the rifle and used the mildots to get me out there.
    It would help to know the bullet weight? 175.168? but more importantly the muzzle velocity.
    I usually mark my 100 yd zero on the turret, so I can return to it later. A 600 yard zero at 100 yds is generally shooting 13.5 inches high.

Comment

I usually shoot 168s out of the M40.

My reloads run 2670 +/-

I might run FGMM 168 which should be close to 2700.

Ive got other rifles for dialing but like getting these scopes zeroed in than not touching them.

You never have to worry about the "repeatability" of a cheap scope if you dont dial.

Maybe Ill just stay 700 and in and enjoy the large number of targets available therein.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

This is the range card Ill work off.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	HOTEL-RangeCard.png
Views:	1
Size:	526.3 KB
ID:	43601

Picture of the range from back in March....

Name:	thumbnail_P3118446.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	43602

Working in my favor will be the big targets.

Assuming the heavy bars under the milling section equal 5 mils I guess I can hold up to 10 mils using the bottom of the reticle. Those heavy bars though may obscure the targets.

Name:	mildot2_copy-300x300.jpg
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	43603

it will be a great challenge.

Comment

The beauty (and curse) of 2nd focal plane scopes is that changing the magnification, changes the value of the mil dots linearly. SO for an example, and I recommend testing and marking on your scope the exact pts if not already marked. I will look at mine tonight to see.

Max zoom zoom is 9. at 9 power, 1 mil in scope = 1 mil on target ...... 4 mils in scope = 4 mils on target

at half power 4.5x (multiply by 2), 1 mil in scope = 2 mil on target ...... 4 mils in scope = 8 mils on target

at 3/4 power 6x (multiply by 1.5), 1 mil in scope = 1.5 mil on target ...... 4 mils in scope = 6 mils on target

SO if you want to shoot 900M (roughly 1k yards) my rifle is roughly 9 mils. I would crank scope to 4.5 power and hold at 4.5 mil hold over. BOOM....PING

Clear as mud?

GL
          DT

Comment

Originally posted by D_TROS View Post
            The beauty (and curse) of 2nd focal plane scopes is that changing the magnification, changes the value of the mil dots linearly. SO for an example, and I recommend testing and marking on your scope the exact pts if not already marked. I will look at mine tonight to see.

Max zoom zoom is 9. at 9 power, 1 mil in scope = 1 mil on target ...... 4 mils in scope = 4 mils on target

at half power 4.5x (multiply by 2), 1 mil in scope = 2 mil on target ...... 4 mils in scope = 8 mils on target

at 3/4 power 6x (multiply by 1.5), 1 mil in scope = 1.5 mil on target ...... 4 mils in scope = 6 mils on target

SO if you want to shoot 900M (roughly 1k yards) my rifle is roughly 9 mils. I would crank scope to 4.5 power and hold at 4.5 mil hold over. BOOM....PING

Clear as mud?

GL
            DT
            I like the solution.

Ill be changing the scale of my measure device and increasing its ability.

I usually run the scope always on 9X.......magnification being a crutch and comforting feature.

So If I run at 1/2 the magnification, 4.5X, I will double whatever mill reading I get?

So from center cross to center of first dot is 1 mil at 9X it will be 2mil at 4.5X?

Comment

Wow!! What an awesome looking range! Where is that?
              I had totally forgotten about using the magnification to increase thr mildot value. It works I had done it at a match a long while ago. I used the half power method and I can vouch that its very effective
              Thats why it pays to lurk on these sites. Thanks for the reminder D TROS

Comment

Originally posted by Kev308 View Post
                Wow!! What an awesome looking range! Where is that?
                I had totally forgotten about using the magnification to increase thr mildot value. It works I had done it at a match a long while ago. I used the half power method and I can vouch that its very effective
                Thats why it pays to lurk on these sites. Thanks for the reminder D TROS
                Thats Hotel range Fort Devens MA.

The local club gets access a couple times a month.

You are correct about the genius' on here.

I owe DTROS....

Comment

On a side note, congrats on the win at Burris Optics team match D_Tros

Comment

• D_TROS
                    D_TROS commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks man. Very tough 3 day match. If you see me at a match, introduce yourself!

DT

On a side note...why not zero at 500 and then use the mildots in either direction?

Comment

Originally posted by Chingon View Post
                    On a side note...why not zero at 500 and then use the mildots in either direction?
                    99 percent of the time Im shooting at 100 or 300 yards and I like to shoot at appropriate MOA sized circles.

I get bummed out when I cant keep things in the circle.......Im bummed quite a bit you can guess.

Anyway I didnt want to go throw a whole new zero on specific to shooting I rarely do.

DTros solution would have been perfect but........

Wednesday night I went to get what I thought was "Too much Coffee" stomach checked out and it ended up being appendicitis.

Today was the shoot to 900 yards.

I wwouldnt have been able to get the belly in contact with the earth as would be all well and good.

I still ended up going.....I just spotted instead for people.

Ill find that area of the mag ring where I can double the mil scale and I will try 900 yards in the future with the M40.

Comment

Originally posted by pmclaine View Post

99 percent of the time Im shooting at 100 or 300 yards and I like to shoot at appropriate MOA sized circles.

I get bummed out when I cant keep things in the circle.......Im bummed quite a bit you can guess.

Anyway I didnt want to go throw a whole new zero on specific to shooting I rarely do.

DTros solution would have been perfect but........

Wednesday night I went to get what I thought was "Too much Coffee" stomach checked out and it ended up being appendicitis.

Today was the shoot to 900 yards.

I wwouldnt have been able to get the belly in contact with the earth as would be all well and good.

I still ended up going.....I just spotted instead for people.

Ill find that area of the mag ring where I can double the mil scale and I will try 900 yards in the future with the M40.

Just a though. Seen plenty of DMR folks in Afghanistan zero that way. Technically, the dots can work both ways...but not really much difference in impact from 100 to 500 inches if you aim for the chest. Either way there's something like 4 to 6 inches up at 100 which is still a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chingon View Post

Just a though. Seen plenty of DMR folks in Afghanistan zero that way. Technically, the dots can work both ways...but not really much difference in impact from 100 to 500 inches if you aim for the chest. Either way there's something like 4 to 6 inches up at 100 which is still a hit.
                        Your comment is sound.

I just so infrequently shoot at that distance I dont want to lose my 100 yard goodness for the occasional long range fun.

When I shoot 900 the targets are well over MOA so the slop of shooting at 4.5X bewteen mil dots may still be successful.....

Name:	Hotelsummer2.jpg
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	43823

Comment

Working...
                        X