CMP Unertl 10X Work by Iron Sight Inc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMP Unertl 10X Work by Iron Sight Inc

Just got a CMP Unertl 10X back from Iron Sight Inc and thought I'd leave a quick summary of their work and review of the results.

The scope as I got it from CMP had a loose ocular lens, where it was rattling around if I shook the scope, and I could push/pull the lens in/out a bit.I didn't take any "before" pics, but from what I remember, the coating of the lens was also scratched/worn out quite a bit.

So after contacting Iron Sight Inc, sent the scope in to fix the loose ocular lens and to do a general inspection and maintenance on any issues.

According to the work sheet included with the returned scope, they did the following:
    (From their standard services)
    - Rebuilt fixed power erector cell
    - Replaced reticle
    - Cleaned all lenses, resealed and purged with nitrogen
    - Checked windage and elevation on collimator
    - Checked adjustable parallax through focal range
    (Additional work penned in)
    - Replaced o-ring seals
    - Polished and remounted ocular lens

Overall, they did a great job in servicing the scope. The ocular lens is solidly in place now with no rattle or shake, and the outside looks shiny, smooth, and very clear when looking through the optics.

It looks like they took a torch to where the ocular bell attaches to the body housing though when they went to take it apart, as the original paint around that area is brown and bubbled now compared to the original leftover tan and green paint job.

Also not sure how I feel about the original reticle being replaced, as it was not something I requested nor was a confirmation sent before doing so. The lines and dots are definitely crisper, but the outside bars are a lot thinner than the original, and I'll have to see if the dots are really "mil-dot spec".
    Attached Files

Thanks for the review! If you don't mind, about how long did it take, and what did they charge?
    DW

Comment

Interesting they replaced the retc that would have bothered me as well.

You have contact info as well?
      I need to send mine in.

Everything else works perfectly tho? If I got a perfectly functioning scope back I would prob be happy overall tho.

thanks!
      DT

Comment

Id like for these guys to put a mil reticle in my Weaver T10.....

http://targetshooteroptics.com/Services_and_Prices.html

Ive heard good things regarding them on here as well as other sites.

Wonder if they would work on a Unertl for servicing, assuming no parts needed,. I wouldnt expect them to be able to replace anything beyond a reticle.
        "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Originally posted by kft101 View Post
          Just got a CMP Unertl 10X back from Iron Sight Inc and thought I'd leave a quick summary of their work and review of the results.

The scope as I got it from CMP had a loose ocular lens, where it was rattling around if I shook the scope, and I could push/pull the lens in/out a bit.I didn't take any "before" pics, but from what I remember, the coating of the lens was also scratched/worn out quite a bit.

So after contacting Iron Sight Inc, sent the scope in to fix the loose ocular lens and to do a general inspection and maintenance on any issues.

According to the work sheet included with the returned scope, they did the following:
          (From their standard services)
          - Rebuilt fixed power erector cell
          - Replaced reticle
          - Cleaned all lenses, resealed and purged with nitrogen
          - Checked windage and elevation on collimator
          - Checked adjustable parallax through focal range
          (Additional work penned in)
          - Replaced o-ring seals
          - Polished and remounted ocular lens

Overall, they did a great job in servicing the scope. The ocular lens is solidly in place now with no rattle or shake, and the outside looks shiny, smooth, and very clear when looking through the optics.

It looks like they took a torch to where the ocular bell attaches to the body housing though when they went to take it apart, as the original paint around that area is brown and bubbled now compared to the original leftover tan and green paint job.

Also not sure how I feel about the original reticle being replaced, as it was not something I requested nor was a confirmation sent before doing so. The lines and dots are definitely crisper, but the outside bars are a lot thinner than the original, and I'll have to see if the dots are really "mil-dot spec".
          Did they return the damaged reticle to you? I would get it back and save it for a rainy day, spare reticle. On a side note I think they sell them at the grocery store in the same isle as the paper towels, Unertl Mildots and SHIT TICKETS.😂.....either way....bad joke, let us know how your glass works out. Post some pics if possible.
          Last edited by Bildoe308; 03-25-2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I'd be so pissed if someone replaced the reticle in mine without consent, damaged or not (you didn't say yours was even damaged). The view the Marine snipers saw through the scope while in service is a huge part of its intrinsic value, IMO. After all, it's a historical optical device, and the original cross hair is its focal point. Imagine that very crosshair may have been on an enemy being taken out with a single shot- that "romance" is now gone.

I'm still pissed at Leupold. I sent my MklV tactical spotting scope to them just to lubricate the stiff ocular focus, and they took it upon themselves to do a full run through. Though their intentions were undoubtedly good, they f'd up the internal focal distance. Now the edges of the image are distorted/blurry at lower magnification and fisheyes when I move my eye, and the image focus shifts and has to be reset when the magnification is changed. I sent it back and they still didn't get it back to the way it was originally.

I've learned to be very specific and ask that factories only perform the work requested unless they communicate with me first.
            You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

I don't understand how you "just change the reticle" in a Unert.

I thought the duplex lines were steel posts that served to anchor the cross/mil dot wires.

Changing wires alone would seem difficult while changing the posts would seem to be not easy.
              "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Originally posted by pmclaine View Post
                I don't understand how you "just change the reticle" in a Unert.

I thought the duplex lines were steel posts that served to anchor the cross/mil dot wires.

Changing wires alone would seem difficult while changing the posts would seem to be not easy.
                I'm pretty certain the reticle is pre-mounted in a steel ring. The whole assembly would be replaced as a unit.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	mst-100 cutaway drawing.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	47205
                You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Okay.

That set up would be pure Unertl.

Their external adjust reticle are a "cell" at the ocular end of the scope.

I think it's a fantastic design allowing possibility of change out but on the external adjusts I think the ability to actually rotate the cell to align with fall of gravity is a great idea.

Comment

If you unscrew the main ocular its very easy to see how the reticles are mounted. Later USO were a stamped metal reticle but you can see these are clearly welded to a ring welded to the tube.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6205.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	47211

Comment

Yes, the tube to which it is welded, though, is not the main ocular tube as far as I can determine. USO used reticle housings (see below) that slid into the ocular tube, and I assume the design is the same in the Unertl as illustrated in the patent drawings, with the crosshairs welded to a reticle housing, the back end of which we are seeing in your photo.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	07 reticle housings.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.5 KB ID:	47216

In the patent drawings, it appears the rim of said reticle housing is captured between the turret housing and ocular tube when the ocular tube is screwed into the turret housing. The housings in the photo above do not seem to have the crosshairs mounted to them yet.

https://drive.google.com/viewerng/vi.../US4247161.pdf

Unertl reticle housings would have had two slots cut in their sides to facilitate the leaf bias springs, one of which (windage) is seen at the top of the housing in your photo. USO housings would have no such slots (and none are seen in the above photo) as USO used coil springs for bias instead of leaf springs.

But, back on topic, the reticle should not have been replaced without permission, and the original reticle should have been returned, unless it was kept by them under agreement as partial payment.
                      Last edited by SemperFi; 03-27-2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• Skunk
                        Skunk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        SemperFi is spot-on here...

To follow up with everyone:

- I received a call from someone in their shop after I emailed about the reticle replacement; he said the original reticle was removed (and is gone, probably trashed) from the housing and a new reticle installed, with the original housing re-used and re-installed into the scope.
                      - Apart from the reticle, which if I recall correctly, looked intact but frayed and not in the best condition, and the browning/bubbling of the original field paint where they took a torch or heat gun to loosen the ocular tube from the main housing, everything else looks good and the ocular lens is definitely in better condition. A couple of the rubber o-rings on the turrets were replaced but not glued, so the turrets rotate independent from the o-rings.
                      - A quick inspection and function checks of the turrets, ocular and objective adjustments, everything seems to work. We'll see if the mil-dots of the new reticle hold true when I get a chance to mount the scope and get to the range, which with the current situation everywhere may not be for a while.
                      - The turnaround time was about three months, give a take a week or two. I would contact them directly for a price quote, as the price I paid included the known repair to the loose ocular lens, so your quote may vary.

All in all, I'd say they did good work, especially considering how hard it is to find a shop with the skills and parts to service these scopes. I would just be extremely explicit about what work should be done or to make sure contact is made for authorization before any other other work not explicitly requested is performed.

For those looking to get in contact with them, their website is: https://ironsightinc.com

Comment

• SemperFi
                        SemperFi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A "frayed" reticle most likely indicates corrosion. Corrosion looks like whiskers. That would explain its replacement. Thank you for sharing your experience and the link. They may be the only ones working on these at this time.

Having rebuilt these scopes with my own two hands while working for USO, I would guess they probably melted the solder holding your original reticle together during their attempt to get your scope apart.

And, the o-rings should be free-floating as you describe. The only one glued to a knob is the upper one on the coarse elev (yardage) knob.

Comment

It sounds like they decided to replace the reticle from the beginning. What other reason would there be to separate the ocular tube from the turret housing/body?

Any way, it is really good there is someone who is working on these great scopes.

Comment

• Skunk
                          Skunk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's a good question. I suppose it's possible the reticle was damaged during the removal of the ocular lenses, though not likely. Based on KFT's original post, there would be no need to do anything but remove the ocular lenses. So, as you point out, they may have seen something wrong with the reticle in their initial inspection. It's possible it was broken from the beginning and the owner just didn't see it...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5163e1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.1 KB ID:	47239

Maybe some of you can help with one of my scopes, it has had the USO modification. On this one, the crosshairs are loose from the "bars" that form the duplex part of the reticle. The crosshairs shift/change position behind the bars and the end sometimes shows from behind the bars near the ring.

How are the crosshairs actually attached? Are they attached to the bars, or do they span across and attach to the ring?

I would prefer to keep the original crosshairs. Can they be reattached?

Thanks,
                        Cass

Comment

• kft101
                          kft101 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The reticle wires look like they've broken off. It probably needs replacement, but I'm not a scope tech. You could send it in to Iron Sights and have them take a look at it. I don't know of any other shop that does reticle work on these.

Advertisement

Collapse

Working...
                      X