Original Unertl MST-100 cardboard shipping box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Unertl MST-100 cardboard shipping box

Here is something you don't see everyday, an original Unertl MST-100 cardboard box! This is how the MST-100's were shipped to the Corps back in the 1980's. This box was used to ship MST-100 serial number 1621 and according to DFA vol. 1 pg. 130, this scope was purchased by the Corps on August 29,1988 (code on the label for procurement is dated 1987). Since I don't have an MST-100 (sorry guys, I'm slacking ), I used an MST-150 scope as a stand in order to show the box's dimensions in the second picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pmAssUq.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	34561

Name:	TgsZWHa.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	34562
    Last edited by USMCSGT0331; 02-24-2018, 12:55 AM.

Very cool. Makes me think of kids when they prefer to
    Play with the box
    The toy came in at xmas. Rather than the actual toy. Cool find
    Last edited by twomanattack; 11-29-2015, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Nice!

What about the wooden box we see sometimes on eBay. Authentic?

Comment

Originally posted by MescaBug View Post
        Nice!

What about the wooden box we see sometimes on eBay. Authentic?
        Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the wooden boxes with the Unertl logo on it were shipped with the T-series "Unertl 10X" scopes they sold after the company got bought out and they started making and selling the scopes to the commercial market.

Comment

Yea the wooden boxes were for the Unertl T-Series. I had a stack of them in 2007.

Comment

• USMCSGT0331
            USMCSGT0331 commented
            Editing a comment
            I remember you selling those boxes a few years back, they're pretty cool with the image of the MST-100 on the lid!

• twomanattack
            twomanattack commented
            Editing a comment
            I have been meaning to post some photos of where I got those boxes. Most people would be surprised.

No packing material needed for those tanks.

Comment

• USMCSGT0331
            USMCSGT0331 commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe the scope were wrapped in some kind of kraft paper or whatnot before putting them into the cardboard boxes.

I'm not sure if the cardboard boxes were then packed into small plywood boxes (for added protection) when they were shipped to the Corps, but an example of a civilian Unertl 10x Sniper (serial number 2040) plywood shipping box can be seen in DFA vol. 4 pages 177 and 178.

But yeah, they could have probably just slapped a shipping label directly to the scope, thrown it in the mail and it would have been fine, lol.
            Last edited by USMCSGT0331; 11-30-2015, 03:26 PM.

I received my first of three T series scopes in 2001 or possible 2002 in a cardboard box. It was wrapped in the rust prevention paper. It was shipped inside of a outer shipping cardboard box with horrible chicken scratch for writing for the addresses. It came with a spanner wrench, Allen wrenches, the tool pouch.

My next two both had the same tools but the second one came with the old style wood box with the Unertl logo and it was jointed together nicely with a slide top. Both of these scopes came with an owners manual and instructions. KFT101 actually has that box. I traded it to him a while back, I wish that I wouldn't have.

Comment

That's neat! I wonder if "87", or maybe "0186" is a date code. Assuming this is original Unertl packaging, and not USO refurb packaging, this helps to alleviate my skepticism that Unertl ever called their scope an "MST-100". Thanks for sharing.
            You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

• Game Warden
              Game Warden commented
              Editing a comment
              Just contact Aaron Davis. He can confirm that they called them that. The phrase MST was used long before USO was in the game for USMC optics.

• USMCSGT0331
              USMCSGT0331 commented
              Editing a comment
              The are no assumptions, this is a 100% original Unertl MST-100 box that was used to ship scope 1621 to the Corps! No USO stuff here!

• USMCSGT0331
              USMCSGT0331 commented
              Editing a comment
              87 is is the last two digits of the fiscal year in which the procurement was issued/awarded.

USMCSGT0331, thanks for posting that. I'm been telling people for years about Unertl using the MST-100/150 phrase and nobody believes me. Maybe me keeping this photo would help. I totally understand people not believing it because the Cream Corn always listed it as 10x sniper and so on. Silly Cream Corn.

Comment

• USMCSGT0331
              USMCSGT0331 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, consider yourself vindicated! Wish I could find a few more empty boxes, I'd send one your way. I know where 2 others are, but they both contain the original scopes in unused condition and the owners will never let them go. Maybe I can get some pics of those to post here, I'll ask if that's a possibility.

• SemperFi
              SemperFi commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, GW, please don't take it personally. It's not that I didn't believe you, per se, but that I left room for doubt until I could see hard evidence for myself. I'm funny that way.
              (What's 'Cream Corn'?)

• MescaBug
              MescaBug commented
              Editing a comment
              Slang for Marine Corps if I'm not mistaken.

No sweat. Can you take an up close photo of the label please? After all, a picture says a thousand word. Thanks.

Comment

• USMCSGT0331
              USMCSGT0331 commented
              Editing a comment
              Will do, hopefully have it posted tomorrow.

MescaBug is correct. It's slang for Marine Corps. SemperFi, I don't take it personal. Actually I have had people tell me that I was wrong since USO got started in the game making them. I make it a point not to spread anarchy and lawlessness. At least now that I'm retired anyway. Well, most of the time anyway.
            Last edited by Game Warden; 12-02-2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Name:	X0eiRSF.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	34563

Here are the label's markings with the specific information on what they represent:

1240011234730 -----> This is the number below the barcode, it's the NSN number without the dashes
              1240-01-123-4730 -----> This is the NSN for the scope (sight, telescopic, 10x). Info can be found here: http://www.nsn-now.com/Indexing/View...=1240011234730
              78908 -----> This is the numeric code for the scope's manufacturer, Unertl John Optical Co. Inc.
              MST100 -----> This is the scope model
              TELESCOPIC SIGHT -----> Scope with 10x magnification
              1 EACH -----> The box contains only 1 scope
              M67004-87-C-0186 -----> This is the contract award number for this scope (see the chart below for the specific breakdown of what the letters and numbers mean)

Last edited by USMCSGT0331; 02-24-2018, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Game Warden
                Game Warden commented
                Editing a comment
                Very appreciative for you posting that. That's as awesome as blowing a huge load of freedom on terrorist face!

• USMCSGT0331
                USMCSGT0331 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol, thanks man! I figured you guys would like this info!

• MescaBug
                MescaBug commented
                Editing a comment
                Matlock does it again

Heads up! Unertl 1621 sold at CMP auction last month for a crazy low price- probably due to "Won't Hold Zero". I'd bet the box would be worth upwards of $1k to the new owner!
              And, thank you, USMC SGT0331, for restoring the photos through imgur!
              You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

Working...
              X