X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sling help!

M24 Sling Info:

Sling Adjustment.
    The sling helps hold the weapon steady without muscular effort. The more the muscles are used the harder it is to hold the weapon steady. The sling tends to bind the parts of the body used in aiming into a rigid bone brace, requiring less effort than would be necessary if no sling were used. When properly adjusted, the sling permits part of the recoil of the rifle to reabsorbed by the nonfiring arm and hand, removing recoil from the firing shoulder.

(1) The sling consists of two different lengths of leather straps joined together by a metal D ring (Figure 2-8). The longer strap is connected to the sling swivel on the rear stud on the forearm of the rifle. The shorter strap is attached to the sling swivel on the buttstock of the rifle. There are two leather loops on the long strap known as keepers. The keepers are used to adjust the tension on the sling. The frogs are hooks that are used to adjust the length of the sling.

(2) To adjust the sling, the sniper disconnects the sling from the buttstock swivel. Then, he adjusts the length of the metal D ring that joins the two halves of the sling. He then makes sure it is even with the comb of the stock when attaching the sling to the front swivel (Figure 2-9).

(3) The sniper adjusts the length of the sling by placing the frog on the long strap of the sling in the 4th to the 7th set of adjustment holes on the rounded end of the long strap that goes through the sling swivel on the forearm (Figure 2-10).

(4) After adjusting the length, the sniper places the weapon on his firing hip and supports the weapon with his firing arm. The sniper turns the sling away from him 90 degrees and inserts his nonfiring arm.

(5) The sniper slides the loop in the large section of the sling up the nonfiring arm until it is just below the armpit (Figure 2-11). He then slides both leather keepers down the sling until they bind the loop snugly round the nonfiring arm.

(6) The sniper moves his nonfiring hand from the outside of the sling to the inside of the sling between the rifle and the sling. The sniper then grasps the forearm of the weapon, just behind the sling swivel with his nonfiring hand. He forces it outward and away from his body with the nonfiring hand (Figure 2-12).

(7) The sniper pulls the butt of the weapon into the pocket of his shoulder with the firing hand. He then grasps the weapon at the small of the stock and begins the aiming process.

Above from the Army "sniper training manual". I'm a little confused by it, probably because of the "quality" of the drawings...

I have also hear of the "no pulse" sling method, which sounds good for building positions other than prone.

Those of you smarter and/or more experienced than me, please post photos/text/whatever that would help someone like me better understand the sling implementation options so I (we) could select the best method for our needs.

Thanks in advance!

The GI manual way

http://turnersling.com/faq_how_use.html

I like this next one better because the frogs initially are inboard on the sling. When you make your loop and tighten down it allows the frog to lock the keepers and creates a sling that you have to struggle somewhat to get out of....

http://garandthumb.com/use-1907-sling/

The carry sling set up as shown in scene one of your M24 drawings is one I am not familiar with.

"...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

Slings and Things
      https://www.midwayusa.com/product/79...y-glen-zediker

...covers most all accessory equipment for high power rifle competition. Great book.

If you are only interested in the slings and want to save a couple bucks, the sling portion of the above book is in its entirety in this book by the same author...

Service Rifle Slings
      https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...y-glen-zediker

The author covers several variations, including two Marine Corps methods and the no-pulse setup, as well as how to maintain and use the sling..
      Last edited by SemperFi; 09-14-2017, 10:27 AM.
      You can take a Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of a Marine.

Comment

• J!m
        J!m commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to check that out now. Thank you!

• J!m
        J!m commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks like the "service rifle slings" book is more comprehensive in the sling department (if the author's description is to be trusted) so I may go that route.

The first book is probably also excellent, but I think I have the other "stuff" under control...

• SemperFi
        SemperFi commented
        Editing a comment
        The slings section in Slings and Things is almost word for word the entirety of Service Rifle Slings. I found some minor editing, but that is all. But, I would have to say that in my copies at least, the images are a little better quality in Service Rifle Slings. You won't go wrong either way.

I added a direct link to the WW2 US Army training film on correct use of the M1907 sling

You can see it here if you scroll down the page a little - apologies for the excess of cat-dace dead image icons - lost the password for the site for some time & still gradually updating it as I find time
      Reproduction military leatherwork: WW2 British No.32 sniper scope lense caps, WW2 British Scope Tin straps, US WW2 Sniper scope caps - Weaver 330C / M73B1 & Lyman (M81 & M82) Alaskan, Swedish mauser m/41B sniper rifle - cheekrests & slings, WW2 US M6 scabbards for the M3 knife, WW2 Fairbairn Sykes knife scabbards, WW2 US Cattaraugus 225Q scabbards, Victorian Martini Henry buff & leather slings, Boer War Long Lee Enfield slings, WW1 British SMLE slings, Swiss K89, K11 & K31 slings. Traditional bespoke shooting accessories: All hand-made & hand-sewn: ammunition carriers, Lightweight Gannochy cartridge magazine, deer stalking rifle - bolt carriers, Leatherman tool pouches, Surefire torch carriers, deer stalking & target shooting slings, cartridge & game bag straps, gun-slip straps. Repairs carried out to your items. Classic Car leatherwork: "Italian Job" Mini Cooper bonnet straps. Leather Bonnet straps for Classic Cars Mini Cooper leather straps for Works & Rally cars

Comment

Working...
      X