M40 and M40A1 Rifle Cases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40 and M40A1 Rifle Cases

Last edited by USMCSGT0331; 11-21-2018, 10:28 PM.

This is great info!

I notice these serials are all early (six digit) ones. Do you know/theorize the "E" serial rifles may have been the ones getting the Pelican cases, or have you seen early Protecto cases with E serials stenciled on?

Comment

R, thanks for posting! Are all the cases, brown or green, that you have seen and are verifiable the same dimension? Particularly the width?

Comment

I have seen the the Tan and green cases pictures but the black one is different and this the first time I seen the black one thank you for the pictures and the references for the cases ,geoff3

Comment

Very nice collection USMCSGT0331 from what I was told, the majority of these cases were tossed into the FAMOUS PWS Dumpster. I'm super glad some were saved via dumpster diving or made it out by other means. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Bildoe308
            Bildoe308 commented
            Editing a comment
            Whoops...had a little TYPO ERROR....RTE Shop....but Dumpster Diving is still paying off between the old and new shop!

Hoppies bought out Protecto-Kaddy in the early -mid 70s. I was given a black one by a Friend who is a former Marine sniper. He had a few that he liberated from a dumpster.. He saw several of these black ones issued with M40A1 rifles. I'll have to double check his years of service but I know he "was there" for Gulf War 1.
          I have 2 green ones. Interesting in that one has a green handle, other has a black handle.

Comment

These were gone from Marine Corp inventory in 91'-92' time frame (although I know of an Armory that still contains a dozen or so green ones). This was several years prior to PWS when it was still the RTE shop. RTE was not responsible for replacing them.
            I personally, along with several other team mates were given instruction by our Chief Scout (STA 1/8) sometime around mid to late 91' to go down to the armory and swap out gun cases for our 40's for the Pelicans that we had gotten in. These were mostly the Green ones although i do remember there being a small number of the tan Protecto's still. They were a mess. I remember having to lace 550 cord to replace the plastic handles of my particular case 221476.
            I remember asking the duty Armorer what he wanted us to do with the old ones and he instructed us to throw them in the the dumpster behind the Armory. Probably 15+ of them if i remember correctly. At the time I remember just being glad to get rid of them. Not so much the case now. Although, I have several, they are still pieces of garbage. I remember comments being made "Why do we even use this pieces of shit?...The rifles are tougher than the cases.".....Remember on deployment watching one of our guys rifles fall out of the case and slide down the ramp toward the well deck on the USS Siapan as we were hauling our shit down. Remember us all laughing as we watched HOGS trying to stop it by stomping on it as it slid past and watching said Marine sling the case all the way to the bottom of the ramp as he yelled "Piece of shit". lol
            The A1's were considerably hard on them as the case was originally designed for a considerably lighter rifle such as for example, the VN era M40/700. Not the 14lb A1.

The only place i ever remember seeing the black cases were on the Rifle team truck. Had heard they preferred them due to them not taking up as much room in the truck as they traveled. . Not to say there weren't any in the FMF, just saying that i had never seen any.....The 6dig sir# on the case could have been from when the Marine rifle team had taken possession of several A1's for team matches.....or its possible that they were issued to some unit possibly a reserve unit. That is purely speculation. I just know that the majority of the 2nd Mar. Div had converted over to the Pelican in 90'-92' time frame.

Comment

• pmclaine
              pmclaine commented
              Editing a comment
              Was 1/8 still in Geiger than?

Spent a lot of wasted time getting bitter sitting inside the Geiger Armory enclosure scrubbing an A2 for no other reason than "because".

• rlm8541
              rlm8541 commented
              Editing a comment
              No it was on Main side

• TimP8541
              TimP8541 commented
              Editing a comment
              rlm8541, I think your unit may have done an open purchase to get the Pelican cases back then. I was Chief Scout with 3/5 from 90-93, and we never saw a Pelican case. I attended the Advanced Sniper Course at Quantico in 92, and I think I saw my first green case there. Usually, if an equipment change were pushed down from HQMC, it would make its way to all the units in fairly short order. We had all tan Protecto's until I left in April 93, and we had no word we were getting any replacements. I wasn't even aware that black Protecto's existed, since every rifle I ever saw was in a tan or green case. I remember we played around with different drag bags at Quantico. The hope was that one of them would become standard issue, but that came after my time. It's interesting to track the progress (or lack of) of new equipment in the Corps. Someone with more knowledge than I could write volumes about it!

Hey Tim....First off. Get me a hat!...lolol. Yeah man, couldn't tell ya. I was just a Lcpl doing what i was told with STA 1/8 then....Cant remember exactly but was end of 91-92'ish... " Hey, I need you guys to go down to the armory and switch out the 40's into the new cases that they have down there."..."Roger that".....Armorers told us to throw the others in the dumpster out back. I remember having the Pelicans with no wheels on our 24MEU deployment mid 93'.
            We as well had tan and green but mostly green by then.
            I never saw any black in the fleet.

Comment

• pmclaine
              pmclaine commented
              Editing a comment
              Was 8th still at Geiger than?

No..it was on main side..Right down from the Base gym on your way to officers country

Comment

• pmclaine
              pmclaine commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I was on main side once, having spent most of my 8th Marines Geiger time in Oki, CAX or in the field. I spent more time at the cinder block bars beside Saigon Sams than I did at Mainside.

So, I hope I'm not out of line by asking here, but does anyone happen to have a Protecto they're willing to part with? Or know of one in need of a new owner?

Comment

• steveu
              steveu commented
              Editing a comment
              I think that there are a lot of "new owners" looking for what you seek, me included. They do come up from time to time on fleabay, but the price gets too high for me, especially when the case has major issues. Good luck with your quest!

Oh well, was looking for some info that is now gone. If anyone saved the pictures and wouldn't mind reposting, I'd appreciate it TIA.

Comment

Working...
            X