Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever seen one of these?

I know this is a shooting rest. It looks military in nature but also looks like a AMU/RTE fabrication due to the simple design. One of my sources said it MIGHT have been made for rifles to assist snipers holding security on rooftops before bipods were common. Seems like a pack or 782 gear would work just as well and would be one less thing to carry. Should I sell it or keep it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2532.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	5666Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2533.JPG
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	5667Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2534.JPG
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	5668Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2535.JPG
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	5669

Those legs look like old aluminum orange tent pegs that they use to issue with the old shelter halves.

Comment

Stool for garden gnomes?

rlm I was thinking same as you but weren't those a U shape to nest together? These look like a T shaped piece of steel almost like a repurposed SKS bayonet.

Kind of thinking if it was US mil made wouldnt they have just hacked up an M49 scope tripod?
      Last edited by pmclaine; 10-18-2015, 05:53 AM.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

These legs are T-shaped unlike the V-shaped tent stakes. The legs are aluminum. The collar that holes the legs is steel. The legs screws and large knob adjustment screws are steel. The neck shaft is steel and the rest is steel.

It is decently light weight and works great for prone shooting or prone scope observation. The rest is shaped about the same width as a M164 telescope case from the M49 set.

Comment

If you look at vintage spotting scopes you will see all manner of weird tripod and saddle head type mounts. This could just be an old japanese tripod...

Comment

Where ever it came from, if it suits your needs & you'll use it may as well keep it. If either criteria isn't met then sell it. I have an assortment of old commercial & hand made pieces that suit specific needs, be it trying new concepts before making a substantial investment, loaning out to help bring someone else into the fold, or travel use to save weight or not jeopardize more expensive gear- but if it doesn't well-serve a given purpose it goes.

Comment

Working...
            X